running straight up?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

ALYpolevault
PV Nerd

running straight up?

Unread postby ALYpolevault » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:17 pm

ok so i was a sprinter slash hurdler before i even started pv and i have a lot of trouble in the fact that i lean during my run. i try really hard to run straight up and down but.. its hard. i always end up leaning.

any suggestions of stuff i can do to help? :idea:
cheat on your boyfriend
NOT your workout <3

WillinghamPV
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby WillinghamPV » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:51 pm

If you're leaning forward when you run, then your hips are tilted forward as well. To help straighten out and run tall, you need to "tuck your hips" as Coach Attig would say. Think of it like this. If your pelvis is a bucket full of water and you are standing up normally, it will be tilting slightly forward, so that water would spill out the front. This position is being maintained or even exaggerated when you run, causing you to lean forward. By "tucking the hips," you level out the "bucket" so that the water stays in. (When you do this, you should also feel a stretch in your leg muscles, which will help you run faster as well)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Also work on your pole carry. If you are starting with the tip too low or dropping it too early, it will be hard to stay tall while you run.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:07 pm

You might be running under yourself too. What I mean by this is that you may be running BEHIND your center of mass (which has moved since your carrying a pole) instead of slightly out in front of it. I can't explain this as well as I should be able to. Could someone do it better?

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:08 pm

WillinghamPV wrote:If you're leaning forward when you run, then your hips are tilted forward as well. To help straighten out and run tall, you need to "tuck your hips" as Coach Attig would say. Think of it like this. If your pelvis is a bucket full of water and you are standing up normally, it will be tilting slightly forward, so that water would spill out the front. This position is being maintained or even exaggerated when you run, causing you to lean forward. By "tucking the hips," you level out the "bucket" so that the water stays in. (When you do this, you should also feel a stretch in your leg muscles, which will help you run faster as well)

Just to add to this a little, I think I remember reading somewhere that if you're not sure what tucking your hips is, lay on the floor on your back and make it so that there isn't a gap between the floor and the small of your back.

scsuvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby scsuvaulter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:27 am

you should only be leaning forward while you are approaching top speed and this is only because you are accelerating... you always want to be as tall as possible at plant :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”