Grip Height?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Liminator
PV Newbie

Grip Height?

Unread postby Liminator » Sun May 20, 2007 9:08 pm

In relation to how high the standards are set, how high can I grab up my pole? Like say the crossbar is set at 6'. Can I grab 11' up my pole.

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm

a little more info about yourself would be helpful, but to start off, there is no reasons that you CANT hold that high, but there are a couple of reasons that you shouldnt NEED to hold that high for that hieght. first off, if a vaulter moves up on a pole before they are ready, their form tends to suffer. as a beginner (you're a beginner right???) you aren't necisarilly(sp?) expected to vault above your hand grip, however if you practice your pop up drills you should be able to clear 6' with a handgrip around 7' easily. second you need to make sure that you have good pit penetration at your grip hieght, so if you're not getting in, lower your grip. hope that helps a little :)
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

highhopes
PV Fan

Unread postby highhopes » Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 pm

If your holding around 10' you should be able to strait pole 9' 6".
“Practice like you playâ€Â

Liminator
PV Newbie

Unread postby Liminator » Mon May 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Sorry about that. I'm around 5'8" and weigh about 145 give or take 3. My pole is 14' and supports 145lbs. (I know weight might be pushing it but my school doesn't have any other poles stronger than that)

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 pm

when you're just beginning, the major points are run as fast as you can under control, plant early and high, and jump up as hard as you can. Once you can get that down, then you have to move to stuff like working on your drive knee and your trail leg
---------grip it and rip it---------

*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Liminator
PV Newbie

Unread postby Liminator » Wed May 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Here's a video of me pole vaulting at week 3. Any suggestions? I'm supposed to compete in a meet starting at 6'6". Thanks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZXj0bh_dF0E

plvltngdude
PV Wannabe

Unread postby plvltngdude » Thu May 24, 2007 2:35 am

seeing where you land on the pit it would be fine to move up on a couple hand grips on your pole. (gradually of course) also dont lean forward when you run, try to stay nice and tall.

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Thu May 24, 2007 11:15 am

i don't want to be to contradictory but you actually do want to lean forward when you run just a little bit...this allows you to have your chest out on plant which will make the pole easier to bend providing that you have good speed and a good plant...if your too tall then you will get blown back everytime

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu May 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Glory wrote:i don't want to be to contradictory but you actually do want to lean forward when you run just a little bit...this allows you to have your chest out on plant which will make the pole easier to bend providing that you have good speed and a good plant...if your too tall then you will get blown back everytime

Well, I will offer my 2 cents worth here, and it contradicts Glory's advice. You can't be too tall when you plant, and you should run as tall as possible.

You have good pole speed (the pole goes through vertical and into the pit quickly) and that says you could grip higher (everything else being the same). And as plvltngdude says, adjust your grip an inch or two at a time.

- master

SinCity
PV Nerd

Unread postby SinCity » Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I agree with master. You can never be too tall, and you Do NOT want to lean forward. Leaning forward promotes a down angle and puts too much pressure in the bottom of the pole. Also, check out my post in the Coaches Section on a Beginners Checklist. Good Luck
"Na, but I think I still in good shape to compete and beat them." Bubka

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:14 pm

I think your probably thinking about the bar too much. You want to train to try an hold as high as physically possible without being un-safe. Regardless if the bar is set at 6 feet or 16 feet to some degree the higher you hold the higher you will vault.

Now, if you think the bar is at 6 feet “I need to hold 11'â€Â

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Fri May 25, 2007 2:10 am

leaning forward does not put downward pressure on the pole at all..if you look up through your bottom hand your chest is up and this lean gives you more of an advantage to push the pole up on takeoff...aparently some people do things differently..leaning forward works real well for me..i use to run as tall as possible for the last 7 years..within the last 2 months i switched it up and have pr'd by almost 2 feet...just go with what feels best

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”