Drills

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

cna11493
PV Newbie

Drills

Unread postby cna11493 » Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm

(Sorry if this should be in the training section! :D )

Ok, my track season is almost over and I KNOW if I don't do something over the summer I will basically have to start over next year.

Does anyone have suggestions for drills and workouts I can do at home??
(I can't go to camps as my summer is full)

First Year Vaulter
PR:5'
Height:5' 5"
Weight:130
Standards:20
Pole: 10ft (I'm not sure where I am gripping at.)

Thanks!! All help is appreciated!!

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Mon May 21, 2007 3:10 pm

speed work is always good for beginners, so anything in that area will help. If you have access to a high bar there are several good drills that you can do there as well, otherwise, core strength is also key
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

LogIc
PV Fan

Unread postby LogIc » Tue May 22, 2007 10:23 am

um, yeah speed helps ALOT!, get like 2 200m's in every day, adn like once a week (7 days) get a good work out like 6 200m's i find that 200m's helps your strides. if you have a rope, you can do some inversion drills on that, and do some lifting to get some upper body strangth.
~>[LogIc]<~

WA Vaulters: It's What We Do

vaultgirlsummer
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultgirlsummer » Tue May 22, 2007 10:38 am

Do a ton of core work. You can never do to much. Also do alot of pole runs. The more speed you can get in your run the better you will be.

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Being so young, your body might not respond well, to extream weight training. Your going to still grown and get stronger so i would not worry about things like that to a great degree yet. Don't get me wrong every one could be stronger, BUT at your age it might be detremental if you lift too much.

If i was you, im not... But if i was... work on getting speed up, and just getting into better shape. The goal of the summer is basicly to come back to school september in better shape than you came in the year before. With the way the human body peeks you dont want to come back in better shape than you left. Just better than you were the year before at that time.

If i was you, i would run a work out as such

Dynamic warm up (800 meter of skipping/jogging arm swinging Changing at every 100, stride out the last 100 as a build up)

Sprint tec, with or with out a pole, at your age i would do a few weeks with out a pole then start doing sprint tec with a pole

after a week or two of easy stuff, just getting used to exercise again... contact your coach for summer easy work outs.

Join a PV club/camp learn about the vault, Fix problem your approach and plant might have, take up rock clmbing, upper body/core strenght is key.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:51 pm

I know there are some great doctors on here that can answer the lifting question for you, but from what I was told by a doctor when i was your age and considered lifting was this-

Its ok to lift but dont do squats, because your back isnt strong enough to support the weight and its hard to do it properly anyway. He told me its ok to lift 3 times a week, but only do bench once a week, and make all the other lifts only 2 sets of 10 on machines. Stretch both before and after, and get a good spotter or trainer to help you at all times, thats just the rules.

But like Bel said, i dont think weight training will help you quite as much as muscular endurance will. If you develop anything like i do/did (i hope so, so im not just weird!) Then you will find the best way to train at this point is light weights/resistance/load such as 800's or low weight lifts for long periods of time. My muscles didnt get much stronger between 12-14, but i was able to do the same weights with a lot more reps. I think that the best thing for you to do is talk to a personal trainer or even doctor, and decide the best way to train through high school. Lifting heavy weights before your body is ready is just dangerous.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”