Hand Spread

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Hand Spread

Unread postby wayupthere » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:29 pm

today at practice i was havin problems swingin and gettin upside down. My dad and coach Goss told me to narrow my handspread. I narrowed to about shoulder width apart and first jump I noticed a huge difference. I was able to get upside down a lot better and I made 13' from my short run. The thing is that I'm thinkin it will prevent me from keepin my bottom arm out and it might collapse. I dunno i just wanted to see what you guys think is a good hand spread.
hmmmm

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:37 pm

when i was able to invert, i had my hands about 2 feet apart. Then i moved them out to like 3+ feet, to keep my arm out better, and get more bend, but i cudnt invert/ rockabk, anything with that grip. so id sayt around 2 feet or so.
What have you done today to get better?

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:49 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:when i was able to invert, i had my hands about 2 feet apart. Then i moved them out to like 3+ feet, to keep my arm out better, and get more bend, but i cudnt invert/ rockabk, anything with that grip. so id sayt around 2 feet or so.

i think it was 20-22 inches after i narrowed it.
hmmmm

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:57 pm

yeah, that sounds pretty good. i said botu 2 feet, didn take an exact measurement of mine.. but i shure never shudda changed it.. :confused:
What have you done today to get better?

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:27 am

Your grip really shouldn't be much more then shoulder width. A narrower grip allows you to swing easier. I don't think you need to worry about bending the pole with a narrower grip as long as your technique is good. I've seen people jump with a bent pole with only about a foot between their hands.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:40 am

One of the drills we are doing is close grip short runs, we go from around 50ft im gripping 13 on a 14 180, and jumping 14. We are supposed to keep our hand grip around 8-12 inches. I even did one at 6inches on a smaller pole. You can still extend your left arm, it looks funny because it comes back almost past your head. My grip normally is around 20- 22 inches, wider =softer and more control, narrow =stiffer easier to rotate. To wide =lowplant and swing problems. To narrow= stiff and less control.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”