Stressing the BASICS

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Gchap7
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Gchap7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:42 pm

And then at best case senerio, the vaulter never gets hurt, but they move onto college with an endless amount of bad habits - near impossible to break

baggettpv
PV Master

High School Vaulters

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:34 am

I have an idea......go back 10 years in the top 10 listings of high school kids and see who made it to the next level. Thats 100 of the best the USA has to offer. Make the list then wonder why the others didn't. Your thoughts will be interesting.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: High School Vaulters

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:56 am

baggettpv wrote:I have an idea......go back 10 years in the top 10 listings of high school kids and see who made it to the next level. Thats 100 of the best the USA has to offer. Make the list then wonder why the others didn't. Your thoughts will be interesting.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

I would assume injuries would be the first reason, followed closely by coaches who followed a different path with their vaulters than elite coaches, and the athletes leveled off in their training when certain parts of their vault couldnt be fixed. Basically lack of sufficient elite-level coaching.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:23 pm

A major factor - already alluded to above - is that they have achieved some success - but with 'dead end' techniques which prevent further improvement beyond a certain point. Specifically they have learned to take off under and compress the pole before they leave the ground. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: High School Vaulters

Unread postby bjvando » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:43 pm

baggettpv wrote:I have an idea......go back 10 years in the top 10 listings of high school kids and see who made it to the next level. Thats 100 of the best the USA has to offer. Make the list then wonder why the others didn't. Your thoughts will be interesting.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

I am doing a semi-research study on this exact topic.

My sprint coach at Cal. State fullerton did a nation-wide research of the elite athletes a few years ago and what they ran in High School. (mainly 100m and 200m atheltes)

I plan on doing a similar study on the vault... So far its very interesting.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Keep us posted, i would love to see the results of that study, to see what specifically makes the best high school elites slow down in their training as they approach a professional elite.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:30 pm

altius wrote:A major factor - already alluded to above - is that they have achieved some success - but with 'dead end' techniques which prevent further improvement beyond a certain point. Specifically they have learned to take off under and compress the pole before they leave the ground. :idea: :yes:

So a question that leads us to is, "If these above-average vaulters in high school and college learn to take off under and compress the pole before they leave the ground, but they begin vaulting under a coach who attempts to break this habit, when- if ever- would they finally break that habit and begin a free take off?"

Or simply, are these 'dead end' vaulters doomed or is there a possibility of re-building them, and how long would that take?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 pm

I would guess around two years of serious work - but of course it will depend of every athlete and the context in which they are training. For example how well does their new coach understand the Petrov model - and how well do they understand the principles of instruction - especially those elements dealing with modifying movement patterns!!! :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Thats understandable. Its too bad these athletes aren't under these circumstances. I know of several amazing 15'6 vaulters with close to no influence from the petrov model in high school. I just wish everyone had access to coaching of the petrov model, because there would be hundreds of 16+ or even 17+ jumpers in high school, and no telling what they could do in college or professionally.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”