lankey swing :S

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

rizlab
PV Fan

lankey swing :S

Unread postby rizlab » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:56 am

Im 16, about 6 ft 4, run my 100 in about 11.3-4; the video i plan to post later will fill the rest in. Im jumping off a 15 ft 180 off 8 to 10 strides or 4 - 5 lefts as you lot say. Im having trouble with my swing. Being tall I understand that long levers mean a larger arc of movement and therefore a slower "top part" incomparison to say a short vaulter, but i dont want that to be my excuse. having long legs, when i swing at take off, its speedy and high! My two footed jump is about 80-85cm. I therefore have identified my weakness is in my arms, im a fairly strong guy, but a natural springy high jumper, therefore upper body is my general weakness. I can "roll over" (as in the 'rowing motion' from take off with straight arms???) but it's too slow, what exercises can i do to improve this, or any exercises in general that can help with the whole movment?? much luv xrizlax
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

Boomer
PV Fan

Unread postby Boomer » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:43 pm

Gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics.
Swings on high bar, rings, ropes, anything like that.
Increase your core strength, shoulder strength through body weight exercises.
To be a swinger, you have to practice swinging :)

Also on high bar, learn kips, pullovers, hip circles to extensions, giants if you can, they will all help with strength.

Sounds like you may have the tools to be a good vaulter, work hard !!!
Kristian Wilson
London Legion Track and Field Alliance
P'R' 5.25m

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”