video review please

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:03 pm

yes true.. but to me it just seems he straightens out his body and holds in one position even at the top. Pulling is bad if you do it too early, but i was taught that at the right time it will add a lot to your jump.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:41 pm

yes i agree, but i was told the right time is when you are turning your body and in line with the pole
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:12 pm

hmm well i guess this is just one of those minor things... but i was actually taught not to try to turn until you have moved to pole as far as you can. I bet it doesnt make too much difference, its just that my coach saw that when i turned i didnt keep moving the pole, so he has been telling to keep moving to pole before i turn.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:40 am

you will need a stiffer pole like most people on here said, but for other reasons...the reason the pole you were on in the video wasnt giving you anything back is because of the arm pull mid jump which is also why you fell out of the vault early. by pulling like that you are raising your center of gravity on the pole which is slowing the momentum of the pole forward. if you give some upward and forward pressure to the pole with your arms and continue your swing to the top of the pole the you will find yourself getting more from the pole and moving through that pole like crazy. then you will need a bigger pole.

go to stabhochsprung.com and watch video of markov. pause and go frame b frame of what he does with his arms during the swing and compare it to your vault. hope this helps

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 am

VaultBrad, you said what i was hopin someone would say about this jump. Remember, its not about having your left arm "stiff" as someone said earlier in this topic, because its ok if your left elbow isn't totally extended right at the plant. once again, look at markov for this... his left arm is bent, but is also above his head in a position to store massive amounts of energy in the pole once it moves. so long as you drive your arms straight forward at the plant and keep putting pressure on the pole until the top of the vault you will get on bigger poles and jump high! good luck bro.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm

polevaulter08nw wrote:you don't need to pull untill is he turned a little, pulling is bad but when you get the pole loaded and ahve caught the jump you should be turned a little and then you will go up the pole with the straitening out of your body.

i dont know what that means, but as you start applying downaward pressure with your left arm your body should start a natural rotation around the pole. and the pressure should be constantly applied from takeoff till your pushing off. you dont just simply rotate around the pole and then pull, that is passive and would not work.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

skyhigh0024
PV Beginner

Unread postby skyhigh0024 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:24 am

It doesnt look like your doing anything with the pole just sitting on the bend and turning to go over the bar. After your take off you have to be more active with your arms and shoulders really pressing out and rowing, as opposed to sucking your bottom arm in and cranking the pole down. If you press out and rise up into the take off you will find a better reaction from the pole the bend will be higher. And in the vault you want a high bend because the poles energy will be better exerted throughout the pole and you can get a lot more at the top of the pole. When there is a low bend it usually just crams the pole with too much downward energy that can result in a broken pole or a slow response from the pole (which can often look like someone is blowing through a pole). Well I hope this helps, and if I did not make any sense than dont hesitate to tell me :D
No Struggle, No Progress

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:22 am

i really don't like the term 'rowing'. rowing = blocking out which leads to huge problems later with getting and sort of inversion or getting underneath the pole. instead, when the pole tip hits the back of the box, you should be applying pressure with your top hand while driving your top hand forward over left shoulder. this creates an extremely high bend, with room to swing under it. during the swing, pressure should still be heavy on the top hand, really moving your top hand to your right hip hard. but, notice that your left arm should start breaking at this point. the reason i dont like 'rowing' is because it gives the vaulter an image of 'rowing' the top hand to the left hip. which leaves huge space between the body and the left hand. if you look at vaulters like toby or even a guy like adam sarafian, who i think does a really great job with this point, and he's the only guy out there with like a billion videos on his page, you will notice this lack of space between the left hip and left hand.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”