need some advice

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:52 am

well about the turn, try to turn into the pole and stay with it. That is what stage I am at right now. And 11 is good for a freshman. What i did to help a little untill I really got the jump down, was to cross my legs in air. Hear me out. I never did this on purpose, it just happened beucase I was trying to turn. My swing leg would tuck back under my drive leg, and then haveing my legs crossed, right over left, at the peak of my jump. I have since fixed this and am almost consistant with the turn.

Keep practicing, because that is what it is for. Good luck.
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

difallstar
PV Beginner

Unread postby difallstar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 am

I get that everyone is trying to help him, but correct me if I am wrong. If you get vertical with the pole, and push off the top of the pole correctly then shouldnt your hips turn automatically, because to push off the top your body must turn.

Also, the way i learnt to turn was i didnt concentrate on making my stomach face the bar. I worried more about making my butt face the sky. This seemed easier to me although it is the same.
PR- 12' from four lefts.(no full runs yet)
Sophmore
age 15

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:55 pm

difallstar wrote:I get that everyone is trying to help him, but correct me if I am wrong. If you get vertical with the pole, and push off the top of the pole correctly then shouldnt your hips turn automatically, because to push off the top your body must turn.

Also, the way i learnt to turn was i didnt concentrate on making my stomach face the bar. I worried more about making my butt face the sky. This seemed easier to me although it is the same.

It's too late to turn at that point. Basically, you should begin turning as your shins pass your top hand.

If your butt is facing the sky you are rocking back and that's pretty inefficient.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

difallstar
PV Beginner

Unread postby difallstar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:27 pm

i dont mean on the rockback make your butt face the air. i mean as your turning try to think of your butt facing the sky. I hear many people trying to get their stomach facing the bar, and if your stomach is facing the bar then your butt muust be facing the sky. that is all I am saying
PR- 12' from four lefts.(no full runs yet)

Sophmore

age 15

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 pm

The simplesr and easiest way to get tihs is to take the bungee down to 4 feet -yes 4 feet. Come in from 6 steps, swing up and turn to face back down the runway as you go over the bar. When you can do that, move the bar up 6" at a time until you are at about 8 feet then repeat three thousand times. Get that movement overlearned before you put the bar anywhere near your PR or you will probably slide back into your old pattern.

For anyone else out there interested in this - beginners should do this exercise in the second session - some even can manage it in the first. One reason that this movement is important is that when you go over the bar feet first, butt down you lose contact with the pole early - unless you drag it through the bar with you. By learning to turn you keep control of the pole and you are in a position to push it back down the runway when you choose. :idea: :yes: Once mastered you can gradually modify positions and timing as you increase your height and improve other elements of technique. eventually you will finish with a vertical spiral turn on the pole like Isinbyeva. :D ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:55 pm

Interesting, thats actually the opposite of what some coaches have told me. Lets compare and contrast. Ill say what i know about both approaches and we can go from there.

Turning:
1.) Gets beginners in a state of mind of turning to clear the bar.
2.) helps them when they get to higher hieghts to turn.
3.) encourages a turn on every jump

Not Turning:
1.) Encourages some bad habits that may or may not be broken at higher hieghts
2.) Encourages beginners to not turn too early, all too common today
3.) Encourages a long wait on the pole, thus possibly moving it more, before a turn

I was always taught not to turn unless i am inverted and moving the pole, otherwise i havent gotten enough out of the pole for the turn to matter anyway.

Yet now im getting ideas that you should turn on every jump.... im kind of confused.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Sorry if you are confused old son - and appreicate your efforts to understand the whys and wherefores but my advice was to a guy who could not turn at all or so I believed - In that case the turn must be introduced as soon as possible. Think about it - if a beginner vaults over a bar in a comp and does not know how to turn they must drag the pole through with them and knock the bar off - there is then a temptation to let go of the pole early by throwing it backwards -dangerous. If they can turn, they can stay on the pole until they are in a position to push it away while they drop on to the pad on their backs.. So beginners must turn early!

After teaching hundreds of kids to vault over a long time I know this is the best way to teach it. As everything else improves and the athlete puts more energy into the system they can swing into more and more vertical positions before they initiate the turn. Anyway no more from here on that one - I know that as usual there will be a thousand other opinions, often from folk who have never taught anyone - anything! :( O:-) In this case I would ask you to just trust this cantankerous grey haired old old Ozzie.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:I was always taught not to turn unless i am inverted and moving the pole, otherwise i havent gotten enough out of the pole for the turn to matter anyway.

Yet now im getting ideas that you should turn on every jump.... im kind of confused.

You were taught an error that caused problems later. Teaching the turn as soon as possible is the best way to go. Anything that stops the young vaulter from training the throw the pole back out of control is desired. You must see where your going before you think about throwing it back.

The wise old man strikes again. When o when will they listen or read.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

I see where you guys are looking now. My coach had told me not to turn so quick because i was coming all the pole to early, and i could get a lot more off the top if i didnt turn. After i did that, i would turn and be fine. Thanks
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:46 am

Please don't get "turning early" in the vault and "learning to turn early on" mixed up.

hellomotto08
PV Newbie

Unread postby hellomotto08 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:27 am

alright thanks guys. im gunna try the bungee at 4 feet...that seems like an efficiant way to do it..i might also be able to get upside down if im that low, to help my higher jumps.
Matthew Nahigian. Weston. 11' 6"
No Coach...

www.mizzbe.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”