I'm in a rut

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

orbalton
PV Newbie

I'm in a rut

Unread postby orbalton » Wed May 14, 2003 11:08 am

hey everyone,
i have a problem. i'm a sophomore in high school and i've been doing 11 feet pretty consistently so far, but i can't get past that. i get a good take off and nice bend and all. i can get my feet up in the air, but when it comes time to drive myself to the top, so that my arms are straightened, i just can't do it. maybe i'm just a wuss or something, or maybe it's mental. but if i could just get past that, i'm sure i could go a lot higher. i'm on a 13' 160 by the way. thanks

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Wed May 14, 2003 1:21 pm

Std placement??? and where are you holidng on the pole - at the top hand hold, 6" down? - this is very helpful info - thanks
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Wed May 14, 2003 6:59 pm

put a lot of concentration into your top arm,. Make sure its straight and long as you can get it all the way until you go to finish.

also, check your step. make sure your not under. that will make it hard to get back all the way.

make sure you swinng to the top of the pole, not just up to the bar. might need to move your standards too

how much are you clearing 11 by
Ow

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

WELL

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed May 14, 2003 8:08 pm

This is tough as there is not enough info to determine so this is a guess OK
If you are bending a 13-160 you must weigh at that weight I assume and you are holding very high on the pole too?
A 12'6" grip is too high for a jump of 11'0" The harder you try the worse it gets right?

You are on too long of a pole.

But let see if we can make it work for you. Lower the grip no more than one fist per 4 jumps. Then lower it again one fist. The pole gets stiffer RIGHT. Now the pole is going to give you some energy back so it should start allowing you to raise the hips now. Ok this should allow you to jump higher than 11' do not move the handgrip up stay there and see if you can progress. Once you have surpassed 12’ move the grip up one fist.
A proper pole right now would be a 12’6â€Â
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

orbalton
PV Newbie

Unread postby orbalton » Tue May 20, 2003 11:27 am

yes, i have about a 12'6'' grip. i am clearing the bar by a couple inches. thanks for all your help so far. i will work on it

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”