Closing eyes before inversion

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Closing eyes before inversion

Unread postby wayupthere » Sun May 18, 2003 8:53 pm

ok i was wondering a lot of people have been tellin me that ur eyes are open at take off and when the pole starts to recoil ur eyes close and u have a cinsetic feeling of where u are and u pull and turn and push off and by the time u see the bar is when ur over it. i was just wondering if anyone knows what im talkin about and if this helps?
hmmmm

frozensteele
PV Nerd

Unread postby frozensteele » Sun May 18, 2003 8:58 pm

That actually sounds like a good idea. I have never heard it but my biggest problem is looking at the bar which causes me to try to push off too soon. I think if I would just go with the flow and not worry about the bar I might be able to finally get past my PR. Thanks!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon May 19, 2003 1:08 am

you should not close your eyes during the vault. This can cause you to lose body awareness in the air, and is potentially dangerous. You need to be able to see where you are at in the air, closing your eyes should not compensate for some form of confidence that will cause you to be more willing to fully invert. BE CAREFUL HOW WE POST THINGS ON THIS SITE. Pole vaulting is under enough scrutiny right now, and we need to make sure that if someone takes any information from this site, that they will be SAFE doing it. Just my thoughts.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Mon May 19, 2003 8:09 pm

wacky274 wrote:you should not close your eyes during the vault. This can cause you to lose body awareness in the air, and is potentially dangerous. You need to be able to see where you are at in the air, closing your eyes should not compensate for some form of confidence that will cause you to be more willing to fully invert. BE CAREFUL HOW WE POST THINGS ON THIS SITE. Pole vaulting is under enough scrutiny right now, and we need to make sure that if someone takes any information from this site, that they will be SAFE doing it. Just my thoughts.

well excuse me but mike tully (once a world record holder) said that his eyes closes right before inversion. ive talked to many people and they say that closing their eyes is almost automatic in the vault to them. initially ur eyes should be open to make sure everythings going ok then as the pole is recoiling is when it happens!
hmmmm

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon May 19, 2003 9:26 pm

i think wacky is trying to say that if you naturally close your eyes in your vault, then more power to you. But don't tell people to TRY and close their eyes in their vault. I for one don't think i close my eyes, but i don't remember once what i see when rocking back in my vault.

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Mon May 19, 2003 10:01 pm

Yes buddy! I dont remeber most of the time either.. except when Im STARING AT THE BAR AND CRASH INTO IT... all the times I do it right I dont remeber :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”