can't finish vault

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

is it better to go high and look bad, or go low and look good

go low look good
30%
go high and look bad
70%

Total votes: 20

Pit Rat 1
PV Newbie

can't finish vault

Unread postby Pit Rat 1 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:35 pm

i am a freshman
weight: 100
height 5'3"
Pole 12 foot spirit 130, 140.

At the beginning of the vault i am fine, after the pole kick sideways, i can never let my arm break in (flex), i am bending the pole fine.
I need help please

video
http://video.google.com/videouploadfini ... DAwMTk.MPG
Last edited by Pit Rat 1 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 pm

"arm break in" is your left elbow locked?
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Pit Rt:
Post a video clip, preferably in QuickTime. You are not explaining your problem in such a way that I understand how to help you.
LPVG

Pit Rat 1
PV Newbie

Unread postby Pit Rat 1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:00 pm

how do you post a video clip cause i try but i dont know how?

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:19 pm

first upload your video to google video, or putfile and then post the link to that in the message board
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Pit Rat 1
PV Newbie

Unread postby Pit Rat 1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:57 am

heres the link to the video hope it works
most recent vault
http://video.google.com/videouploadfini ... DAwMTg.MPG

pr beginning of the season
http://video.google.com/videouploadfini ... DAwMTk.MPG
Last edited by Pit Rat 1 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Pit Rat 1 wrote:heres the link to the video hope it works
http://video.google.com/videouploadfini ... DAwMTg.MPG

That facility looks like it is in serious need of some standard base pads, and is that concrete sticking out from underneath the front buns?? :eek: :confused:

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:37 pm

your run up is decent, and it looks like you have good speed too, so that is good. Your plant position is pretty good with your drive knee/trial leg and your bottom arm extended (not perfect, but pretty good). you start out your swing OK, but you stop all of your momentum and just ride the pole the rest of the way up. Your hips stall (meaning that your hips remain below your shoulders) and you are looking at the crossbar. One of the many ways to fix that is to collapse your elbow!!!!! once you collapse, you can get those hips up and "close off" (your right hand touching your right thigh and your left touching near your left hip) with your legs up and your head down (vertical). Once you do that, the finish should fall into sequence, and it should not be difficult to finish if you fix the swing up and invert.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Contrary to what many people believe, what it looks like to me is you are WAY to stiff at takeoff. Your bottom hand is driving straight out in front of you, causing you to apply too much pressure forward, and not letting your chest drive out in front of you. If you look and Bubka, Skipper, Miles, and Walker; they all leave their bottom (left) hand relaxed and bent while extending their top hand as high as possible. This allows for two things, your chest to drive through and get your momentum moving into the pit with a tall takeoff, and it loads your core, preparing you for your swing into inversion. If you can move your plant out, and focus on being tall with your top hand and body, will let your bottom hand relax... you should have a much more powerful swing thus making it easier to tuck your bottom arm in upon inversion and continue going up the pole. It will also cause you to rotate your pole better, for more penetration.

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:46 am

and try turning into the pole when you are verticle. you arent fully upside down, but it is enough to try to go with the pole. Yes you are blocking out, but when you get upside down, roll over the pole on the verticle axis not the horizontal axis. This helped me a lot and it may help you.

good luck!
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:01 am

What needs to be said about your jump as been said, as for the pole, i voted its better to go high and look bad, than good low and look good, just because if i see someone clear 14 with bad form, i think "wow they can be a 15'6 jumper with some work". While if i see someone with perfect form clearing 13 i say "thats impressive, but he/she isnt going to go much higher."
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:45 am

Yes, but I guess I want to ask you this question vaulterboy... what is easier to teach? Speed vs. Technique. I am going to have to go with speed, thus if you start them out low on a small pole and teach them the proper technique, i guarantee they will have more potential than someone who burns down the runway on a 16' pole but only jumps 14'. Thats what it is all about, is giving yourself the best opportunity to do the best that you can. It is not about how high you clear a bar by, but rather performing to the best of your ability, and if you are jumping on huge sticks but clearing low heights, its not the best you can do.

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”