please help/ pole trouble

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

please help/ pole trouble

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu May 15, 2003 9:38 pm

ok, i weigh about 136, and have been jumping on a 11-6 130. i am now crushing that pole, and not having enuff time to even get my legs up, b4 im to the bar, w/ standards all the way back. so now i need to move up a pole, but my stupid school only has a 14-0 140, and a 12-8 150. which pole shud i try? id like to be able to hold near the top, and get decent bend in it. i have a decent plant USUALLY, and decent speed USUALLY.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu May 15, 2003 10:56 pm

Didn't you ask this like a month ago?

The 12'8 150 - you can hold closer to the top than on the 14'er and the stiffer weight rating will pick you up better.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Fri May 16, 2003 9:16 am

I agree.... go with the 12'8" 150.... A jump to the 14ft pole would be downright dangerous.... Don't move your handgrip right to the top of the 12'8" tho.... work your way up ther egradually. Good luck!
"Heart"

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

hello

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri May 16, 2003 11:27 am

a 12-8 150. which pole shud i try
:dazed:

12'8" ????? Make sure the pole has a butt re-enforcement at the end or that the pole is not cut off the top. I could be wrong but I do not know of a company that makes that length. Look at the engraved part of the pole it should tell you the length. I suspect you are comparing a pole that could be illegal because it is altered and the 150 lbs rating is not giving you a true stiffness due to the altering. :crying:

IF funds at school are tough try finding a used pole on this site or go to the pole peddlers site. http://ryanf.topcities.com/ But first visit the pole calculator to determine the best size pole for your ability
http://www.essxsport.com It is free and you do not have to give us your email. It is a non- advertising site. :yes:
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”