mental block

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

mental block

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 pm

i know im not the only one to vault good in warmup at a meet but just basically screw up when the bar goes up (that was my experience this morning) so i know i vaulted bad because of a mental block, and im ready to just conquer this problem asap. so anyone out there that has had this issue have any tips on how to overcome it?
thanks!

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 pm

durring practice use a bar more....whenever a bar goes up it is a natural instict to try harder
pain is only temporary victory is forever

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:02 am

yeah i was just thinking that, id say its about time i get a little more pumped up when the bar is up than the other way around :P so yeah ill be doing that at practice now
thanks!

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:22 am

Heres a hint (I'm working on it now):

Put a bar/bungee up. When vaulting, do not just stare at the bar. It makes it easier int he future if you don't develop bad habits...

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:30 pm

You also may be warming up.."lazy". In other words, during warm ups, "in your minds eye" you feel like you're doing fine when in fact your warm up jump wouldn't have made a height either. Put a bar up at least once or twice during warm ups. The officials won't do it for you but you can have a teammate do it and then you do it for him. Each of you know the other's settings for the standards and when one of you come to the line the other puts up the bar. This will also give you an idea where to start for the day. If you're vaulting ugly in warm ups, you'll vault ugly during the competition. That being said, a made height is better than a NH every day of the week. Later.......Mike

un poco loca saltar
PV Fan

Unread postby un poco loca saltar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:05 pm

I know that feeling well. you do great during practice with a bungee, clearing it just fine, no little nicks or anything. but as soon as that bar goes up, your body freezes *mainly it's all mental*. You start thinking ^okay, I can do this, just like we did in practice the other day^ but as soon as you start your run, everything just shaters. All of a sudden your marks off, your running through, your plants too low, way to early, or just plain messed up. ^What's wrong with me^ you think, and try it again. In truth, there really isn's anything wrong. It's just that mental block where you see that the Pole looks different than the Bungee. If that little bit is different, then your brain decides that it needs to do something differently so that everything stays the *cough* same.
My only advice: try practicing with the pole more. Have it at a hight that is challenging, but not super hard, but you still have to work to get over it. That way, if you do land on it a few times, You'll remember what you have to do so you can clear it the next time. Also, that way, when you land on the bar a few times, you wont be so afraid of it at your next meet.

popcult
PV Newbie

Unread postby popcult » Fri May 05, 2006 2:18 pm

my outdoor high school conference is today... im so nervous. i also have the same problem. during drills i do great i get my legs and my butt up but when the bar is up i concentrate on it too much. as i am going over it i look at it under me and i don't finish my vaults. what should i do?
jg

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”