Pole Recoil

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Pole Recoil

Unread postby Ming3r » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:27 pm

Alrite, here goes for one more thread by me...

Lately, I've been having the pole recoil and all of the force go straight to my bottom arm's deltoid when jumping. Its pretty frustrating, as I can take it the first time this happens, but the second is just the killer.

Anyways, how should I go about handling this? My arms are closer to being straight when this happens...

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:14 pm

I am kinda confused with what is happening.....so when the pole is unbending it is physically hitting your left deltoid?
Man Up and Jump

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:44 pm

No.

Its not that...I've got my arm pretty straight, and the recoil basically just gives a strong force that goes directly to the deltoid.

More of a transfer of energy I guess. Regardless, its a painful one, and its basically that when I do a full vault I can't really think to get myself completely inverted.

I'll get a video up when my friend sends it to me...

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:17 pm

From watching your video's you have posted on your signature there are a few things I see...

First off you are way under...I am talking a couple of feet. That is why your hands get ripped down the pole and you can't hold at the same place.

Secondly you are blocking out way too bad. By this I mean you are way too stiff with your bottom arm first and foremost, but also with the top shoulder. You need to allow your chest to drive through the pole, and let your arms relax. This sets you up to swing with a lot more power and invert better.

The very first thing I would do is do a lot of pole runs and get your step out to where it needs to be, you can't accomplish anything else until this happens.

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Erm.

Ignore that video - thats how I used to vault - basically rolling over the bar...that was like back in Jan/Feb. I can vault semi-better now (more right anyways) but I just don't have a video at the moment.

I basically stopped doing most of that, and can hit a constant mark now...

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Mon May 01, 2006 6:26 am

http://download.yousendit.com/6E70A1CC2E0C8AEC
Don't know how long that link will last, but a couple of the earlier jumps in that is where the recoil killed...

http://www.fileforge.com/pupload/view/106

This was on Saturday...best day of vaulting I've had. Couldn't get myself to turn though...first time (basically) with a brand new 12' 170 pole...

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:02 am

You need to start rocking back and rowing through......you are just sitting over the bar and loosing a lot of height because of it.
Man Up and Jump

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon May 01, 2006 11:53 am

As a general rule. Anytime anything hurts when you are vaulting, you are doing something wrong. Good vaults don't hurt.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:As a general rule. Anytime anything hurts when you are vaulting, you are doing something wrong. Good vaults don't hurt.

great point
Man Up and Jump

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Mon May 01, 2006 6:48 pm

alrite, thanks.

Gotta start really collapsing that bottom arm and inverting...meet tomorrow, and their best guy can do about 11-12...should be fun :D

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Mon May 01, 2006 6:53 pm

good luck- and wish some for me. we have a meet tomorrow against the other undefeated team in my league. winner takes all. I need to score points!!!
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Mon May 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Heh, I've gotten good at taking second.

Good luck man...today was interesting...vault off to see who would go to the Hornell meet (basically second biggest meet of the season). I got first (wasnt hard, only one comfortable at hitting 10', but was mad that I couldnt even hit that today)...4 attempts, and it was basically down to one person who'd gotten 9'6 2 meets ago but has had problems clearning at the last meet...and one of my friends who just got off injury (vaulted last outdoor season and for like 2 meets in indoor).

Man, the break for the injury must have done him some good.

But yeah, just have fun tomorrow...keep a clear head, and don't let wind bother you too much :p

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”