how to get through a pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

reggiereeves
PV Fan

how to get through a pole?

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:50 am

shallow everytime on a pole 15 lbs more than me, why?
not fast enough, don't weigh enough, or is it my form?
what is the main thing i should focus on to get through this pole?
another question::::are you supposed to push your bend to the left(right handed vaulter) before swing through? or just let the pole bend naturally or something?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:55 am

You're not ready for 15' poles yet. You probably need more speed and better technique to be able to handle gripping that high.

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:48 am

sorry read it again, i said
shallow everytime on a pole 15 lbs more than me, why?

not a 15' pole, i'm tring to get onto a 140lb pole, i weigh 125, but we don't have a pole inbetween their.

so are you supposed to push the pole to the left of you or just let it bend in straight, what gets you farther in?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:00 am

Oh sorry, it's been a long day!

15 pounds is a big jump in poles. I would try moving your run one stride shorter on the smaller pole. When you are blowing through it from the shorter run, back up to your longer run and try and hit that bigger pole.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:57 am

About your stalling out....I'd say check your step first because I usualy stall when im either way under or way outside, so make sure your step is close....about the bending, just bend it forward. I was recently having the same issue, but I worked on my form a bit and everything has been working out (I broke my school record yesterday). When you bend the pole in front of you and when you start penetrating and begin your swing, the pole should hit the back of the box and rotate to the side because its motion is limited in the back.
Hope that helps :P

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

things to look for that keep you on lighter poles.

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:20 am

reggiereeves wrote:shallow everytime on a pole 15 lbs more than me, why?
not fast enough, don't weigh enough, or is it my form?
what is the main thing i should focus on to get through this pole?
another question::::are you supposed to push your bend to the left(right handed vaulter) before swing through? or just let the pole bend naturally or something?

Vaulters should be using a pole 15-20 lbs beyond their personal weight for more power in the vault.
A few things that might be holding you back and it is not weight is the transfer of energy into the vault and pole;

[color=blue][b]1. If the plant is not complete transition of energy to the vault cannot happen. Work on finishing your plant
2. Your run approach is not fluid, increasing, or possibly not long enough to produce the needed power. Try another stride to see if the power is there.
3. If you are pressing too hard with the bottom hand you cannot swing or transfer energy to the pole efficiently. You could move the bottom hand up 2â€Â

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:19 pm

ill try to work on some of that stuff. thanks guys.

another quick question: What are the ideal standards set at?

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:03 pm

reggiereeves wrote:ill try to work on some of that stuff. thanks guys.

another quick question: What are the ideal standards set at?

If you live in Idaho call and/or go see Dave Nielson, he is the fabulous coach at Idaho State University.

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:24 pm

I know that PIAA (PA high school rules) let you from 15.5" to 30", and I've used at least from 18 to 26. It depends on the pole you're using. If you're going up 20 lbs (like me, 122 on a 140 13' pole) you might not get in quite as far as w/ a pole right at your weight. The ideal standard for me right now is 18, but one of my friends uses 24. Whatever is for you- you just need them where you reach your peak. Find that for your style.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Why are your standards so close? In my opinion if you can't jump on a pole with the standard back atleast to 24, you shouldn't be on that pole. I jump on poles with my standards at 70 or 80, but when I was in high school I was always at 30. Safety should always come before height, and at 18 inches, if you come up short your coming down in the box. You need to work at rolling your pole into the pits with better take-off mechanics and swing through to move the pole past vertical. Once you get to where you can have the standards back at 26 or 28, then you are ready to move up poles.

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:13 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:If you live in Idaho call and/or go see Dave Nielson, he is the fabulous coach at Idaho State University.

i went to an indoor practice in which 3 of his vaulters and he was their helping me and a couple other vaulters, they let me use one of their 130 13' poles and they got me going a foot and a half higher than my best. they said i had pretty good form other than not being square at take off.
Dave Nielson is a genious. the problem i have is that our school only has a 120 13' and a 140 13' and i blow completely through the 120.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”