Hitting bar with upper body

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:04 pm

The real question is how much do you weigh? dum dum dum... Im 175 and I had a 176 but now Im using a 182.. havent gotten to the end yet..

shall we say.. more to come (its not a spirit or it would be cake to get to the end.. )

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

o

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:13 pm

what u mean by that? do spirits bend easier? i got a 14' one

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: k

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 01, 2003 8:03 am

mcminkz05 wrote:i got decent speed--not super fast, but not slow-- but neways, i got another option.. wev also got a 12-6 150 pole too... maybe i shud try that, even though it may b too short also.

I would try that before a 14' pole

mcminkz05
PV Great

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu May 01, 2003 8:41 pm

BrandoAZ, do u mean that spirits are easier to grip at the end, and get bend or something? because my other option is a 14' 140 spirit. id like something i can get allot of bend on, because thats how i like to vault. and alos, i weight 140, and am 6-0. good high and long jumps, and run bout 12.2 in the 100m. hopefully that info helps some. :D

TeddyVault
PV Fan

Unread postby TeddyVault » Thu May 01, 2003 11:10 pm

i agree with Rainbow Girl, give the 12'6" 150 a go. Strait pole with it. Then, if that goes well, and you are landing in the pit every time, raise your handhold by two or three inches. Repeat process.
Sounds like you were squahsing the snoght (Don't know how to spell that) out of it and it was probably not giving you any launch at all. Basically you could probably jump, rock back, eat lunch, then think about turning. So, slowly work up on the 12'6" 150. Just keep in mind that a foot in pole is roughly equal to fifteen pounds in weight. So that 12'6" 150 is about a 11'6" 165.
Your fast enough.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Fri May 02, 2003 4:23 pm

I agree to use the 150. Spirits are easier to bend but if you've never touched anything that long you'll hurt your vaulting more then helping. It really depends.. Id have to see you jump to give you a for sure recomendation. What you should do is go to track camp this summer with a good empasis on drills and some bending. They will teach you how to bend and there is a good chance you could learn to use that 14' at camp. Don't do it totally by yourself though!

Where do you live again? For beginers I really recommend the UGA (georgia) summer camp. They are great for almost any skillleval but gives the most assistance to those not bending the pole or with bad form (after this bad year of CONSTANTLY changing poles I could use it too! Its best if you hvae the pole you want to jump on instead of borrowing one of theirs because you get more out of it for your next season)

mcminkz05
PV Great

?

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat May 03, 2003 6:10 pm

ok, first of all, i wasnt doin bad on the 11-6 130, or squashing it or nething, i just simply am jumping my max height with it, and need something longer. i am fast, and have a good plant and takeoff, and my coach wants to give the 14' poles a try b4 states, to get me on one. iv tried the 12' 150 pole, can straight pole fine on it, but its a stiff training pole, and its also too short. i think ill start to try the 14' 140 spirit.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: ?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 03, 2003 8:29 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:ok, first of all, i wasnt doin bad on the 11-6 130, or squashing it or nething, i just simply am jumping my max height with it, and need something longer. i am fast, and have a good plant and takeoff, and my coach wants to give the 14' poles a try b4 states, to get me on one. iv tried the 12' 150 pole, can straight pole fine on it, but its a stiff training pole, and its also too short. i think ill start to try the 14' 140 spirit.

If you can't bend the 12'150, you won't be able to bend the 14'140 :idea:

mcminkz05
PV Great

oook

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat May 03, 2003 11:54 pm

i can bend it fine. its just too short also, and i dont like it too much.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”