too much speed...??

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

too much speed...??

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:21 pm

it's been a while since i've made a post... this is my first year of vaulting in college and i'm pretty frustrated at the moment. i've been doing a lot more speed and strength training here, and thus i have gotten a lot faster and stronger than i was in high school. my problem right now is that my speed has gotten out of control, so to speak, to the point where i am having a lot of trouble transferring my runway speed into a successful vault. my vault coach is primarily a sprints coach, and he has me focus a lot on my run, but now it's like i'm forgetting to vault at the end of it. my run is also pretty inconsistent, and i do tend to stride out sometimes, so i know i have some other things to work on as well. but has anyone else ever had this problem? i know that ultimately speed will help me jump higher, but are there drills or something i can do to learn how to control a faster run and translate it into a higher vault?? thanks so much for your help, guys!!

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:55 pm

not sure where this is, but I read some posts about pole runs that seems to be about this exact problem. You should probably search for it and see what you get.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:38 pm

If you do pole runs into a slide box you can think about getting your hands into the right position without worrying about crashing on the vault. I would first do pole runs on the track without any box or towel or even measuring your steps. Just count your steps and work on pole drop. Next, do it with a measured run and towel. This way you are progressing by steps toward the full vault at full speed. This has helped me before.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:42 pm

PV Pirate, I think I saw you jump at UAAs. It was a couple weeks ago, so I might be getting you and your teammate confused, but as I recall, you were hitting pretty far away on your mid mark and having to take really long steps on your last couple strides to make it to the box.

But I could be wrong, it was awhile ago :o

PVPirate26
PV Pro

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:53 pm

yep, that was me at UAAs!! :D i thought i recognized you there too, rainbowgirl, but i wasn't sure at the time... anyways, i'm having some problems with striding out on my last few steps, but sometimes i do manage to get decent run in. basically, i'm just not being consistent. i've been reading through the old posts and it looks like i need to learn some more about these mid mark drills and give those a shot. thanks for the advice so far, everyone!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:08 am

Yeah I think you are striding out at the end because you are too far away. You are probably reaching yourself under, which is probably making your coach tell you to back up more.

I would do a lot of pole runs where you start your run a few feet closer and work on getting those steps down. It will feel weird at first, but when you get it down it will be a lot more comfortable and consistent.

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:04 pm

I probably have the same problem as you - striding out. I guess this is what I get for being the only sprinter vaulter on my team - the rest are distance (excluding 2 guys, but they basically show up when they feel like it...)

Not exactly sure what to tell you, but do box drills and get comfortable not striding out. Its what I need to work on - with box drills its fine, but I feel as if I'm going too fast when I plant as well...

baggettpv
PV Master

Jumping

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:33 am

When you go to the track for pole runs do not use a sliding box but use Dave Johnstons mid mark chart to align your runup . penultimate stride and takeff. You are in whats called a transitition phase but you have not done anything to assist the adaptation to your higher level of physical performance (speed).
Exa. If you are moving from a 3 to a 6 stride approach you must do at least 150 take offs on the track with that approach before it moves to the pit for an easy transition.

Rick Baggett

PVPirate26
PV Pro

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:22 am

thanks!!!

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:52 pm

i was recently having this problem of my last few steps being very long. to fix it i take a larger first couple steps-kind of hop a step or two and then make them smaller and by the time your at the end they're right where they should be

FlyerChick4
PV Nerd

Unread postby FlyerChick4 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:41 am

what is this Dave Johnstons mid mark chart?
This year your gonna have to work twice as hard.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:55 am

FlyerChick4 wrote:what is this Dave Johnstons mid mark chart?

http://www.polevaultpower.com/docs/djmidchart.doc

Look in the Technique forum for posts by dj, he's made several posts explaining it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”