Bending the pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Vault_Halle
PV Newbie

Bending the pole

Unread postby Vault_Halle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:04 pm

I just started the other day and i see videos of people bending poles, how do i bend the pole? Or what do i have to do to get a bend?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:39 pm

Vault_Halle
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vault_Halle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:32 pm

So what is a good pole for a 5'5 110 girl?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Vault_Halle wrote:So what is a good pole for a 5'5 110 girl?

It's all relative to your ability level.

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 pm

The bend doesn't really matter it's whether or not your moving the pole to vertical. The bend should be a natural effect of proper energy transfer.

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:33 am

you what???? bending for me is picking up a pole and teaching the pole that you OWN it and it doesnt OWN u. If the pole doesnt bend, it owns you, like the other lady said, the bend shows the natural transfer of kinetic energy into stored energy and back to kinetic when it "flicks you." when you plant make sure you can see the soft side of the pole just by your top hand(on ucs spirit poles its the "ucs" bit which is the soft side) and with a suitable pole (mayb 90 plbs sumfin lyk that) run at the box get the plant out high, and if you havent hit the back of the bed... you aint tried hard enough
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

Vault Old School
PV Fan

Unread postby Vault Old School » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm

Bending a pole is not a sign of a succesful vault or vaulter. Ideally, if it was humanly possible, to jump over the top of a 20ft. sailpiece then that would be swell and we would have a new WR very quickly. However, human beings as of yet do not possess this capacity. Bending a pole is largely relational to what you input into the pole/vault system and what kind of pole you are using at that time. If you are 5'5 110 and are on a 7 foot pole it will not bend. Why? Because it is too short and you would have to be a lot shorter and heavier or have to do something very bizzarre to bend it. Is this bad that you did not bend such a small pole? Of course not. You should jump over the top of a pole like this because the minimal requirements it would take to jump over that kind of hand grip.

To work on advancing to the pole bending level you should work on your long jumping ability, running speed and pole plant. All of these will help you increase your energy into the pole/vault system. The more energy you can create the better chance you will have to raise your grips which will eventually end in bending poles. Don't let bending poles be your focus. There are no style points here and a jumping on a pole just to bend it is pointless unless you can use the pole to achieve higher heights.

Don't forget that the WR for a non bending pole was 15 + feet. So don't feel bad or alone that you can't bend poles. You don't need it to go high as Dutch W. proved to us all.
Pole Vaulting isn't a sport. It's a lifestyle.

RidinHigh
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter/Still Jumping
Lifetime Best: 5.05
Favorite Vaulter: Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby RidinHigh » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:32 am

Great Post :yes:
Pole Vault Explosion- July 4th, 2009 St. Charles, Missouri
PoleVaultExplosion.com

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

bending the pole

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:10 pm

In what part of the country are you? And do you have a coach?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”