Where to look during the vault?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

JTred
PV Whiz

Where to look during the vault?

Unread postby JTred » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:39 pm

During the season, my coach told us to look up at our top hand during the plant in order to force our hips forward and up. It worked, but I asked him if I should try to look back at the runway while I attempt to invert. He said no. I was just outside practicing inverting on an old rope swing (not the best for practice, but I was experimenting) and it helped a lot to look backto a spot about 3 feet where I was standing. The main reason I ask is because when I pole vault, I tend to fold up and "sit" over the bar in an effort to see the bar. I believe this causes me to fight with myself and to flag out. I don't turn yet and I know this will help with wanting to see the bar, but as I'm inverting, what should I look at?

sidjamin
PV Newbie

Unread postby sidjamin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:28 pm

I'm gonna have to go with your coach on that one. If you watch pro video (try neovault) just about every single one of them looks at their top hand all the way untill they let go of the pole. I have seen vaulters that I compete against snap their head back in an effort to invert and it doesnt seem to help them any. Also, introducing such a violent movement into the vault is sure to throw off your balance and timing. Just stick with doing lots of ab/bar work, and the inversion will come.

After downloading and watching the video you have online, i noticed that one of your main problems is that you are "helicoptering" (horizontal rotation) after take off. This is eliminating any power from your swing which may be one reason you are having trouble getting inverted. To help eliminate the helicoptering, do lots of strait pole drills from extremly short runs (like starting with just right, left) and move out to longer runs once you can jump without rotating. Focus on having a strong takeoff and make sure your step is not under. Good luck!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”