collapsing bottom arm

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 18, 2005 12:45 am

mcminkz05 wrote:yeah the bottom arm straight OUT does screw the swing, but the bottom arm straight UP is good, as long as you keep your shoulders open and get in the pocket

why straight UP is good?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed May 18, 2005 12:47 am

blakedow wrote:Having a bent bottom arm isnt necessarily a bad thing, look at stacy dragila. It isnt so much that you have to "lock it out" but just keep upward pressure... The worst thing you can do is try to lock it out in front of you because then you are blocking out your swing... I used to think that you have to keep your bottom arm straight and out in front of you, but then I realized that i couldnt swing because of it... Everybody wants to have a bottom arm like derek miles or sergey bubka, but it takes alot of time and practice... Dont be discouraged, it will happen, just dont develop bad habits by trying to lock your bottom arm... :)

Well, when you keep upward presure you are actualy going beyond locking it up. Think, how could you invert if you are keeping upward presure?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Wed May 18, 2005 2:54 am

Think, how could you maintain pole speed if you pulled down on your bottom arm?
4.75... Write THAT down...

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

thanks...my problem specifically is that I have my bottom arm collapsing straight at takeoff, causing absolutely no bend......

What exactly should I be doing at the last steps of the plant to fix this?

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun May 22, 2005 11:14 pm

blakedow wrote:Think, how could you maintain pole speed if you pulled down on your bottom arm?

hes not saying to pull down. hes simply stating that if you spend the hole vault pushing you will lose swing speed.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Thu May 26, 2005 1:47 am

i_heart_pv wrote:thanks...my problem specifically is that I have my bottom arm collapsing straight at takeoff, causing absolutely no bend......

What exactly should I be doing at the last steps of the plant to fix this?

Stop worrying about the collapsing front arm, you just need to be on the right size pole and it will bend under your weight... You do not need to try and bend the pole...
4.75... Write THAT down...

VaulteRachello
PV Nerd

Unread postby VaulteRachello » Thu May 26, 2005 11:21 am

i have always been told to try and keep my bottom arm at a right angle. not locked out, but not right up against the pole either, just a little resistance.

i_heart_pv
PV Fan

Unread postby i_heart_pv » Thu May 26, 2005 7:40 pm

yea that is what i have been told as well. I fixed my problem the other day though :) ...at the end of my run i just have to make sure my hands are more up than they were...everything went smooth afterwards hehe

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”