Move up a pole or focus on technique?!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

STC_VAULT1
PV Beginner

Move up a pole or focus on technique?!

Unread postby STC_VAULT1 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:40 am

I have a hard question but lets see if I can word it right. The 2 guy vaulters on our team ( 12'0 and 12'6) have been talking..arguing for the past few days about this issue. The 12'6 vaulter (Nick) is telling the 12'0 vaulter (Brian) that his pole is sloppy and in order to get higher he needs to get on a bigger stiffer pole. Brian thinks his pole is fine, it's his exact weight 140 and it's a 14 ft pole. Brian thinks he needs to work on his technique. He thinks his problem is that he doesnt collapse his bottem arm soon enough, he keeps his bottom arm locked through most of his vault. Brian thinks that getting on a bigger pole might propel him up but he would have more trouble getting into the pit. He thinks that instead of moving up a pole he should focus on getting vertical and collapsing his bottom arm. So is it better to move up a pole when all you can do is focus on your technique as long as the pole has a safe bend or move up to a bigger stiffer pole? How do you learn to collapse your bottom arm sooner? Someone please help b/c i'm sick of hearign them argue about it.
The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance - and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu May 12, 2005 8:21 am

Tell them both to buy a copy of Beginner to Bubka and then they will have some basis for their debate. At the moment they are both peeing into the wind.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

STC_VAULT1
PV Beginner

Unread postby STC_VAULT1 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 am

I wish we had more time to look into it... their sectionals is in a week.
The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance - and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Thu May 12, 2005 3:02 pm

He could try both and see what works best. I'll see them at Sectionals (I'm Fenton's coach) so I'll ask them and the coach what they did, but I'd say work on technique (but make sure it is the proper techinque as the collapsing the bottom arm too soon is fuzzy and odd) on the smaller pole but try to move up a pole and work on the technique when he gets in and comfortable with the pole (like with anything) ...Good luck with that.
Last edited by patybobady on Thu May 12, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

bigger pole

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu May 12, 2005 7:09 pm

[/quote]I have a hard question but lets see if I can word it right. The 2 guy vaulters on our team ( 12'0 and 12'6) have been talking..arguing for the past few days about this issue. The 12'6 vaulter (Nick) is telling the 12'0 vaulter (Brian) that his pole is sloppy and in order to get higher he needs to get on a bigger stiffer pole. Brian thinks his pole is fine, it's his exact weight 140 and it's a 14 ft pole. Brian thinks he needs to work on his technique. He thinks his problem is that he doesnt collapse his bottem arm soon enough, he keeps his bottom arm locked through most of his vault. Brian thinks that getting on a bigger pole might propel him up but he would have more trouble getting into the pit. He thinks that instead of moving up a pole he should focus on getting vertical and collapsing his bottom arm. So is it better to move up a pole when all you can do is focus on your technique as long as the pole has a safe bend or move up to a bigger stiffer pole? How do you learn to collapse your bottom arm sooner
This argument is about improper fundamentals!! I agree with Altius!!!!!!! Both are off their marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”