Transitions Suck

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Transitions Suck

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:38 am

I am currently stuck in a transition between getting on some of my smaller big poles 14'6'' from a shorter run and adjusting to it. i have no probublem taking the jump up but as soon as i leave the ground and rock back i just stop for some reason and my thinking is that i am mental. which i already know to be true. i feel like i need to get used to the pole but thats insane maby i just need to calm down. any suggestions??
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:05 am

this used to happened to me alot last summer. it was right when i was starting to row with my arms and figure it out. i would take off and move fast into the vault then as soon as i got my shins to the pole, instead of continuing to rol the pole over it just stopped. i started to get frustrated cause i never had thet problem before. Mark Strawderman figured out what i wsa doing. i was rowing to much too early. in other words i was rowing enough to push my top hand infront of my my body. this was putting my center of mass behind my top hand effectifely raising my body up the pole and slowing down the vault enough to stop me from being able to finish and make it safely into the pit.

im not sure if this is what is happening to you, but it sounds simmilar. if this is your problem, just try staying infront of or inline with your top hand throughout the vault, it will help you move through easier.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:56 am

haha i just figured that out yesterday but thats exactly what was happening with me. i worked it our and hopefully will be able to get on with life now :P
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Yeah, i do believe its mental. I had an issue one time when transitioning onto another pole, it messed with my step and i couldn't even rock back anymore, but i stuck with it till the bitter end and now i'm ready for a new pole ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”