It's just pole vaulting...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm

I get the benefits of pushing a pole but what do you do if there is a lip on the box? About half of the meets i go to have a lip on the front of the box and you could get roughed up by sliding the tip. Because you said you teach a lot of beginners the push so when they get a lip on the box what happens? I was just curious.
Go BIG or Go HOME

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:30 pm

vaulter894 wrote:I get the benefits of pushing a pole but what do you do if there is a lip on the box? About half of the meets i go to have a lip on the front of the box and you could get roughed up by sliding the tip. Because you said you teach a lot of beginners the push so when they get a lip on the box what happens? I was just curious.

Vaulter894 makes a very good point...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:38 pm

vaulter894 wrote:I get the benefits of pushing a pole but what do you do if there is a lip on the box? About half of the meets i go to have a lip on the front of the box and you could get roughed up by sliding the tip. Because you said you teach a lot of beginners the push so when they get a lip on the box what happens? I was just curious.

I'm in college and I don't think I have ever been anywhere with a lip on the box. If I went somewhere that had one, I would either carry the pole or choose not to jump. I know that my conference meet and national meet do not have a lip on the box.

I think it is really important to teach kids how to carry the pole as well, so they are prepared for meets with a lip on the box. If I were a high school coach, I would look at the meet schedule and do my best to figure out if any facilities had that problem.

Aren't boxes with lips ILLEGAL anyway? :confused:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:40 pm

distancejumper wrote:I think your problem is a psycological problem...try just going and not stopping...if you get hurt, don't blame me

If it were that easy to fix, don't you think I would have done so about 3 years ago :confused:

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:46 pm

Rainbowgirl 28 wrote
vaulter894 wrote:
I get the benefits of pushing a pole but what do you do if there is a lip on the box? About half of the meets i go to have a lip on the front of the box and you could get roughed up by sliding the tip. Because you said you teach a lot of beginners the push so when they get a lip on the box what happens? I was just curious.

I'm in college and I don't think I have ever been anywhere with a lip on the box. If I went somewhere that had one, I would either carry the pole or choose not to jump. I know that my conference meet and national meet do not have a lip on the box.

I think it is really important to teach kids how to carry the pole as well, so they are prepared for meets with a lip on the box. If I were a high school coach, I would look at the meet schedule and do my best to figure out if any facilities had that problem.

Aren't boxes with lips ILLEGAL anyway?

Lipped boxes are illegal but a lot of high schools around this area and some of the college competitions I compete in have them, most schools don't want to put up the money to fix it, but it is good to know you teach both ways and for my big conference meets we don't have a lip either.
Go BIG or Go HOME

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:23 pm

well, ive been to some runways that have no lip but it does have like a wood plank right around near the take off area, which may cause some obstruction... :eek: ...I like it, but it seems that it would mess with your step if you tried practicing on a sliding box when you carry the pole..

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:03 pm

Lipped boxes are illegal?? hmm yet another illegal part of my schools pole vault set-up.. our box has a 3" lip.. but it nicely compliments the 8" dip in the runway 20 feet from the box.. :confused: :no: :no: :no:
What have you done today to get better?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:18 pm

izzystikchik wrote:but it seems that it would mess with your step if you tried practicing on a sliding box when you carry the pole..

My teammate made me a sliding box that doesn't have a bottom part, so I can push the pole and still do slide box drills if I want.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 pm

Ive herd that some ppl run into problems when they start holding higher, like 15+, the tip of the pole doesn't drop enough. I think its great for beginners, its a little less confusing then carring if you don't have it down.

Does anyone have any videos of guys push planting like 16+, that would be really cool to watch.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:15 am

Bonevt wrote:Ive herd that some ppl run into problems when they start holding higher, like 15+, the tip of the pole doesn't drop enough. I think its great for beginners, its a little less confusing then carring if you don't have it down.

Does anyone have any videos of guys push planting like 16+, that would be really cool to watch.

Saw Tye Harvey do it in Reno 3 years ago, and he jumped 18'8! Becca has the video. He's given me a lot of advice on how to coach it - great guy!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:24 am

lonestar wrote:Becca has the video.

Yeah all 200+ megabytes of the whole meet, and iMovie won't let me do anything with it, so I don't have the software to get Tye's jumps off of it. :dazed:

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:41 pm

17-8 sliding!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”