frustrated

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:54 pm

I am the same way, I try to visualize the jump before i make it. I love the feeling of seeing the bar underneath you as you rotate around it though...especially when it is a PR! I think that is what the sport so grand!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:08 pm

omg for the past 3 weeks i havnt been able to jump good.. and if i do i get 1 good jump in the whole nite.. i jump 2 nites a week adn ive really been struggling, today i couldnt get on a pole ive been trying to gte on for the last 2 weeks, my coach says im blowing through the smaller one though so im like stuck. iunno all my teammates seem to be doing ok too. i just feel like blah. ive even spent all day yesterday reading up some more on it and watching some videos and stuff too i just cant get anything to go. grrrr..
i run, therefore im buff.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:53 pm

I find that getting sort of "overly aggressive" cancels out the feeling fear. Just thinking about attacking makes your self feel more dominate over all the elements that obstruct your mentality. No matter what height i've jumped, from 5 feet to my PR today, it seems to help me go that extra mile.
Oh, when i do find myself freakin out about the height of that cross bar, I think to myself "what about the couple of feet above it?". So I look above the cross bar and think about shooting my hips there, seems to help me some...

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Unread postby C-townvault » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:14 pm

One summer, my dad and i were at my school jumping. I was having some problems with my vaulting. So right before one of my jumps, my dad says ramming speed! For some reason that worked. Another time i my little brother came with us. After a bad jump he told me that sucked. I couldn't help but laugh. I went on to have a great practice. Who would have thought that your little brother making fun of you would help?

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:46 am

[quote="GirlPoleVaulter87"]I've come to realize that attitude is everything. Sometimes you just need to relax and don't worry about what height the bar is at. quote]

I find my self asking hte question "what bar are we at now" to my friends all the time. Maybe it is a bad thing but i loose consintration so easly. On a starting height i don't like it but i forget that i am running down hte runway and remember that i have to jump right after the pole hits the box. I guess i just get lost in the excitement of the meet or somthing. So i agree with jewels, take it easy and the heights will come

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:30 pm

On a starting height i don't like it but i forget that i am running down hte runway and remember that i have to jump right after the pole hits the box.

You are good on getting your step on? But I think most people try to jump before the tip hits the box. I try to "leave the ground" before my tip hits but Im still always a foot under? :crying: I dont jump. I think its odd that thats what you think yet from watching your films you have about as perfect step as you can get!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:59 pm

i meant just think about "the jump" not jumping off the ground

vaultinchikadee
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaultinchikadee » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:20 pm

When you jump just hink that the bar is at an extremely low height and you will make it! just pretend that you're jumping over a hurdle or something. it always works for me!
Quiters never Win and Winners never Quit!

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:27 pm

im soo...ahh!! lol because of my left arm keeps doing something werid at the plant. there is nuthing wrong with my right arm..it's perfectly straight i've never had this problem and it's happen for a little more then a week..i have no clue what to do..my coach says it's fine as long as it doesnt go across my body but i cant tell the difference from when it is and isn't!! but im not having a problem moving the poles that i need too though..i dont know what to do!! im so confused! lol
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

toki
PV Nerd

Unread postby toki » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 pm

I used have the same problem. I would jump so well when there not a bar up. If im warming up or theres a bungy i have no problem. BUT now i just look for my feet, and imagine that the bars not there, and its starting to work a little better. It takes time, but eventually the bar won't bother you as much. :)
Its not just about working hard.. its about thinking hard too.

breaker
PV Whiz

Unread postby breaker » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:59 am

our coach has a bar up at pretty much every practice at a height that we would jump at in a meet, so i've gotten really used to a bar, i used to allways look at it, and that messes everything up, but now im used to it, so its no big deal

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:56 pm

Well my plant isn't messed up anymore i went to a few seesions with Tom Williams at OU and got it fixed! im exicted now lol....well im just not down o my self now.
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”