anybody have good invert drills

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

polevaulter245
PV Newbie

anybody have good invert drills

Unread postby polevaulter245 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:21 pm

i am in need to get invert so bad. im loseing like 1 1/2 feet because i cant get invert. please help me.
Last edited by polevaulter245 on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:38 pm

Get a rope about 10 feet long. Tie one end of the rope to your feet and make sure that they are together. Have a couple of your football player friends help you out with this next part: get a big rock that weighs more than you, and tie that to the other end of the rope. Face a tree with a limb about 15 feet high that will support your body weight. Have your two larger friends throw the rock over the limb and WALLA! You'll be inverted. :D

Or you can go to a high bar and do a drill called swing ups. Best of luck.
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:44 am

I have another suggestion that also involves a rope. It's very simple.

An ordinary climbing rope will do. If you buy a rope, let me suggest a fairly thick weave. I have a rope that I've tied to a limb on a tree in my back yard. I tape it like a pole.

Here's an invert drill: Grasp the rope like you would grasp a pole - same distance between hands. Stand with your takeoff foot directly under your top hand. Keeping your top arm straight (resist the temptation to pull/bend the top arm) and keeping your trail leg straight, jump off of your takeoff/trail leg and swing upsidedown. Once upsidedown, then pull with your arms to simulate the action of pulling up toward the bar.

Basically, in this simple drill, the vaulter tries to imitate the action of the swing and acquires the sensation of what it feels like to get inverted with feet up and shoulders back.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

polevaulter245
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter245 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:05 pm

ya i have already tried that and i cant get my feet above my shoulders. im in a L position. any other tips

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:41 pm

polevaulter245 wrote:ya i have already tried that and i cant get my feet above my shoulders. im in a L position. any other tips

Did you try my suggestion? duh.
"If you don't want to be

a deadbeat like me,

I won't blame you." Owen

oldguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby oldguy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:57 pm

Beam, I tried your suggestion but now I can't get down. Did I make a mistake by substituting iron workers for football players?

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:17 pm

Beam I tried what you said and look what happened http://www.advantageathletics.com/stunts/ratchet.html

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:15 am

If you can't do swing up drills by yourself find another vaulter to spot you and take turns, it's easier if you have someone sharing your weight because you can still work the muscles and make the drills managable at the same time. Eventually you will be able to do the drills by yourself.
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

mfs9
PV Newbie

Unread postby mfs9 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:43 am

Find a set of rings and do running rings. Also do swing-ups, windsheild wipers, and bubkas. That should help you out a whole lot. Just try and do it for a few minutes every day, and it will really help.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:03 pm

If you can't find rings, hang a rope or hose up in a U shape from a strong tree branch, under the bleachers, from the rafters in the garage...
For pictures of ring drills look in http://www.advantageathletics.com/polev ... npush.html

ArodPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby ArodPV » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:12 pm

in the gym at my school we have a rope hangin down, its pretty long it comes to the floor.. and i take a good 5 running steps and jump as heigh as i can reach on the rope and swing and invert. i always feel that the stronger your swing the better your invert. once u are inverted at the top of the rope pull, and shoot your hips up.
secret PV technique .. HTA!

sploit
PV Beginner

Unread postby sploit » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:18 pm

I don't know how wide your handgrip is. But the narrower the grip, the easier it is to get inverted. The wider the grip is the easier it is to bend the pole, but the harder it is to get inverted. I use about 15" between hands and it works well for me.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”