SKIPPER AND 5.0METER POLES?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:24 am

I'll just say this. The day he broke the pole and broke his thumb, he didn't need to be holding any higher, he doesn't jump of the ground very well, and I'm scared that if he grabs 5m poles and justt raises his grip 6 inches cause the pole is longer, he might be in danger of breaking more poles. Of course things could change and that mght be what he needs now I don't know. I'll see this weekend and tell you guys how good an idea it is/was for him. Of course being tall and extremely fast lets you get away with some thing. I'm sure he will be fine. Lon

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:18 am

Barto's #1 Personal Rant -

"EVERY YOUNG VAULTER WANTS TO GRIP TOO HIGH!"

Folks "get a grip" :D , a 15'9-16' grip should give you 18'6-19' bars. If it doesn't, you need to get better, not grip higher!

Many on this board are amazed that someone can jump 16' on 14'6 poles. That is not amazing, it is just good. It is what most of you should be trying to do. The only people who should not really try to do this are guys over 6'3 or 6'4. They will most likely not be able to swing fast enough with that low of a grip; although, I have seen some 6'5 guys who could do it.

I challenge every vaulter on this board (under 6'3) gripping over 14' to drop their grip down to 14' and try to clear 15'. If you can do it -great. Raise your grip and keep jumping higher. If you can't - keep working until you can. RAISING YOUR GRIP WHEN YOU CAN'T JUMP 15' GRIPPING 14' IS LIKE THROWING GAS ON A FIRE! It is no way to solve your problems.

From a sailpiece standpoint, Tommy may be better off on a 5m than a 4.90m, but that does not mean he needs to raise his grip. From what I have seen, he might need to lower it.

Barto

vaultfan

Eric Eshbach

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:20 pm

IM NOT SURE HOW HIGH ESHBACH GRIPPED WHEN HE CLEARED 18-2.1/4 BUT I THINK IT WAS UNDER 16. MAYBE FOR A HIGHSCHOOLER ITS DIFFERENT BUT JUMPING 18-3 GRIPPING 16 ISNT SHOCKING.

When Eric set the national high school record, he was 6 foot, weighed 170 lbs. and jumped on a 15'7" 210 holding at the red stripe. That is clearing a bar over 3 foot above his handhold. :yes:

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:38 pm

[quote="zack"]TURN OFF your caps lock.
WHATEVER MAN. LISTEN TO THIS MAN BARTO HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:55 pm

my bad no more caps.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:08 pm

Barto wrote:Barto's #1 Personal Rant -

"EVERY YOUNG VAULTER WANTS TO GRIP TOO HIGH!"

Folks "get a grip" :D , a 15'9-16' grip should give you 18'6-19' bars. If it doesn't, you need to get better, not grip higher!

Many on this board are amazed that someone can jump 16' on 14'6 poles. That is not amazing, it is just good. It is what most of you should be trying to do. The only people who should not really try to do this are guys over 6'3 or 6'4. They will most likely not be able to swing fast enough with that low of a grip; although, I have seen some 6'5 guys who could do it.

I challenge every vaulter on this board (under 6'3) gripping over 14' to drop their grip down to 14' and try to clear 15'. If you can do it -great. Raise your grip and keep jumping higher. If you can't - keep working until you can. RAISING YOUR GRIP WHEN YOU CAN'T JUMP 15' GRIPPING 14' IS LIKE THROWING GAS ON A FIRE! It is no way to solve your problems.

From a sailpiece standpoint, Tommy may be better off on a 5m than a 4.90m, but that does not mean he needs to raise his grip. From what I have seen, he might need to lower it.

Barto

I think ur right about the whole first part but I dont think Tommy should lower his hand grip. The guy jumped 18-3 holdin just below 16. Jumping 2 feet above ur handhold in high school is remarkable.
hmmmm

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:27 pm

Don't forget that Eshbach gripped 15'1". 3 feet + over his grip in high school.

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:41 am

" Jumping 2 feet above ur handhold in high school is remarkable."

No, it is not. The higher you grip, the higher over your handhold you can jump. For a 16' grip 3' over your handhold would be good.

Tommy is remarkable because he can physically grip 16', not because he pushed 27". 18'3 with a 16' grip is very average.

Barto

pvpaul7
PV Fan

ya

Unread postby pvpaul7 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:12 pm

ya that jump is an average jump...but what makes it above average is that he is in high school and is involved in many other things... pole vaulting doesnt sound like it is his only focus, according to the news articles. (baseball tryouts etc.)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: ya

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:14 pm

pvpaul7 wrote:ya that jump is an average jump...but what makes it above average is that he is in high school and is involved in many other things... pole vaulting doesnt sound like it is his only focus, according to the news articles. (baseball tryouts etc.)

Mmm I would disagree... it seems to me like he has been almost 100% focused on vault this past year or two. Yeah he got drafted, but that sounded like a really random thing. It's not like he is practicing baseball right now... nor has he ever practiced baseball!

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:00 am

yeah, whats up with the baseball thing?? i thought it was sum joke at first, because that so random to just draft some1 who's never played. SO that is true, right?

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:04 am

if I had a chance to go play professional baseball or go to any college I want for free and vault. I would deffenetly rather vault.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”