Josh Schupbach Article (OR)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Josh Schupbach Article (OR)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 26, 2005 11:59 am

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 001/SPORTS

Surprise vault has Eagles' Schupbach aiming for state title

By BRENDA YOUNG, Rockford Register Star

Christian Life's Josh Schupbach couldn't have chosen a better time for a breakout performance than at last Friday's Oregon Class A sectional track meet.

The senior pole vaulter, who has had never won a sectional title, defeated Oregon standout Adam Tate in the finals clearing a personal best 14 feet, 3 inches.

When Schupbach soared over the bar on that clear weather perfect day, he knew he was in new territory. He was far beyond his previous best of 13-6.

"I didn't really think I would win. Adam has always won and he's a good competitor," Schupbach said. "I've been having some good practices and have been pretty consistent in my heights, so I was thinking it would all click real soon."

Now, with a sectional title and a new PR under his belt, Schupbach takes aim at completing another goal this weekend at the IHSA Class A boys track and field meet in Charleston. He makes his second straight appearance at state and is the Eagles' lone representative. Last season he finished out of medal contention.

"I am definitely looking to have a higher jump than I had at sectionals at state," said Schupbach, who is seeded second.

Christian Life coach Jeff Pettera believes Schupbach has the potential to finish in one of the top three spots. Schupbach joins a long line of successful pole vaulters who have qualified for state at Christian Life.

Pettera said it has been Schupbach's work ethic that has made him among the state's best.

"Josh attended a couple of pole vaulting camps early in his career, which has helped him advance more quickly," Pettera said. "He also had a mentor on the team in Jeremy Koehler, who got him started in the event and taught him how to pursue his goals. They used to compete with each other at the meets and in practice. This was a tremendous help for Josh."

Schupbach not only vaults during the outdoor season, but indoors as well. He earned an invitational to the Prep Top Times Classic Indoor State Track meet the last two years.

Schupbach hasn't always had a love for vaulting. He grew up playing basketball from the time he was 5 years old. He played for the Eagles basketball team, but after his freshman year, he chose to devote more time to track.

"There are times I still miss it when I go to games to watch my friends," Schupbach said.

But there will be no regrets this weekend. And hopefully, there will be no nerves, either.

"I won't be nervous, I got that out of the way last year," he said. "It's all about going to take care of business."

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”