line up for class 4 PV set

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

Hickman
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Valuter, Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-2

line up for class 4 PV set

Unread postby Hickman » Sat May 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Players for the Missouri State HS meet are set and the in Class 4 Sec 3 the top 7 kids jumped higher than all the other 3 Sec's. What a bunch of bull. :mad:
Have a good time all you kids who jump 13' knowing that you should be sitting at home. :yes:

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Re: line up for class 4 PV set

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 pm

Sounds like someone didnt do too good at their sectional meet -

jeffschu
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Coach

Unread postby jeffschu » Tue May 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Man yesterday looked at the class 4 all secs that sucks 14' stays home and 2 12'6s go on. I believe that we need to have state qualifying standards for all events. I am still pissed that our #1 sprinter got 2 days of oss and out of districts for a slip and slide prank, he would have made it to day 2 in the 100 and 200. my pole vaulter did not man up and get on a bigger stick and did not do what I believe he can do. But he has a long summer with me and I am going to hit crossfit big time with him and see what happens

swmovault
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Volunteer Coach, Parent
Lifetime Best: 4.75m

Unread postby swmovault » Tue May 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Understand the frustration. How do we fix it? No reason why some of the better vaulters stay home because Missouri only takes top 4 from Districts and Sectionals.

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 am

Where I went to school you had to jump 15ft 2 weeks in a row to make the state meet. Even though there was kids from other sections who jumped 13' to make the meet. I figured this was fair because Being in the best section gives a vaulter the greatest chance to jump high also you have to take the top three from each section because every section has different weather conditions. This is the purpose of prelims at a state meet everyone jumps with the same conditions and the kids who are not yet ready to jump at that level are eliminated.
--Kasey

KCEric28
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.9 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tracy Tuttle

Unread postby KCEric28 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:35 am

On the Kansas side we have the same thing....But we have a proposal into the state that you can qualify in a different way.

Take the last 5 state track mets....average the 7th place finish (medals at state). If you hit that mark at regionals/districts, you automatically qualify. But this would only work for field and distance events, not events where it would cause an extra heat in an event.

When I was vaulting in HS we had the top 7 vaulters in the state at our same regional...I feel your pain. In my opinion, don't complain unless you try to fix the problem.

swmovault
PV Beginner

Unread postby swmovault » Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Let's say District 1 has 8 vaulters over 14'. This means 4 go on and 4 stay home. District 2 has 4 vaulters with best heights of only 13' that also go on. I have no problem with District 2 sending 4 vaulters but it doesn't seem fair for District 1. Having an automatic qualifying height for State meets would seem to be more fair and also would make the state meet more competitive. Just my .02 If other coaches agree let's suggest some rule changes. :idea:

swmovault
PV Beginner

Unread postby swmovault » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 pm

I like the Kansas proposal but why limit the jump to regionals/sectionals/districts? What if a kid hits the qualifying mark at KU Relays or at a 16 school invitational? I asked the question "how do we fix it?" to gather information and input on how to do just that "fix it" I think that is different than just complaining! :D

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri May 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Hickman wrote:Players for the Missouri State HS meet are set and the in Class 4 Sec 3 the top 7 kids jumped higher than all the other 3 Sec's. What a bunch of bull. :mad:
Have a good time all you kids who jump 13' knowing that you should be sitting at home. :yes:

It says on the side that your PR is 13'2... does that mean that you think you should be sitting at home? I am guess you have not updated that?

Same thing happened to me in high school.. I finished 5th in my region (top 4 move on) and out of the other three regions only one guy jumped higher than me.

Return to “North and Central Regions”