Missouri 250 mile rule

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

OLD CATAPOLER
PV Newbie

Missouri 250 mile rule

Unread postby OLD CATAPOLER » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:01 pm

Does anyone have knowledge of a MSHSAA rule limiting high school track athletes from competing beyond 250 mile outside the state lines?
I thought I had read on some board a year or two ago about a nationally ranked distance runner from the KC area that was denied an exemption to this rule and actually sat out his senior year in protest.
I think the rule in question was by-law 311.4.c
From memory I think this rule applied to track & field only.

vaultfan

Adam Perkins

Unread postby vaultfan » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Go to the Missouri high school running website:

http://www.mohsrunning.com/

Click on “Trackâ€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:21 pm

You can compete wherever you want (unattached) before 2 weeks before the start of the track season. So MO athletes CAN compete at Reno, but they cannot compete at Nike Indoor because that is within the 2 weeks before the season.

During the season you cannot go more than 250 miles from the state.

After the season you can go more than 250 miles, but you can't go to "All-star Meets." This means that you can compete at AOC, because anyone who runs fast enough can compete there, but you can't compete at Golden West because they handpick those fields.

If you are a graduating senior, you can do whatever you want after the state track meet such as compete in Golden West.

This is what Coach Staggs and Coach Lohr say, sorry if I butchered anything.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:48 am

is there any reasoning behind this? This rule seems pretty absurd if you ask me....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:09 am

ashcraftpv wrote:is there any reasoning behind this? This rule seems pretty absurd if you ask me....

Texas had a similar inane rule back in the day. Each athlete was limited to 6 meets...whether you competed for your school or unattached. That's why Brandon Richards moved from Waco to Santa Barbara for his senior year. His dad got fed up with dealing with the UIL on the issue.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:50 am

Coach Staggs said it used to be a 125 mile rule :dazed:

I think it is ridiculous too. Something about not giving the rich schools an advantage... whatever :confused:

vaultfan

The Daniel's Report

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:40 am

Here are some quotes from the Daniel's report that I thought were of particular interest:

“One reason, they noted in testimony, that they had been told the 250 mile rule was in place was to insure academic integrity by keeping student-athletes in school. They noted that if this was the case then why was a GPA of .70 or above (which is a combination of five (5) D-'s and two (2) F's per semester) sufficient to maintain eligibility according to Section 213.0 on page 21 of the 2003 MSHSAA Handbook regarding Academic Requirements. This was especially of interest to the committee. Ramsey also noted that football and basketball teams were allowed to travel outside of the 250 mile radius and there was no school he had ever seen whose cross country team had a lower GPA than either of these sports. “
(From Adam Perkins testimony in front of Missouri House of Representatives Tourism & Cultural Affairs Committee)

“MSHSAA rules only prohibit the travel to competitions, such as tournaments, with more than two teams. This is how football teams are allowed to travel all over the country and play. This rule might seem a little bias because it would very difficult for three football teams to play a game at the same time. “
From Brandon Daniel's editorial comments

“I'm hoping the Board [MSHSAA Board of Directors] will realize that other states allow traveling, and I think they need to look the rule over. I just don't like my state association hindering athletes. Forty-seven other states allow athletes to travel to appropriate competitions, and it is not right for MSHSAA to hinder Missouri track & field athletes from doing the same.â€Â

OLD CATAPOLER
PV Newbie

Unread postby OLD CATAPOLER » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:19 am

A bill has been introduced in the Mo House of Reps (HB920) that prohibits any entity from preventing student/athletes from competing in or training for any sports event recognized by the USOC.
You can see the bill itself at:
www.house.state.mo.us
click on "2004 Bill info"
click on "Bill tracking search"
put in HB920
I dont know the full impact of this bill, but its intention is to eliminate the "250 mile rule"
I encourage everyone to contact your local Rep and ask any questions you may have, and voice your support for thhis bill.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:56 pm

there's also rules that your school coach can't help you out of season, and no one else can help u during the season unless your coach is also there....at least thats what i've been told in bits in pieces from my coach and others. so that means no pv camps during the season unless your coach comes with you. and i think the two weeks before the season might be the real cutoff for that rule...

any other states like that? is that a national thing or just a weird missouri thing?
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:45 pm

With all these obscure rules for high school athletes in Missouri I was wondering if there is a web site that lists in detail the context of these rules. It would be nice for a parent access to resurch these rules as needed. The mshsaa web page has a "generic" sterile version posted. But access to the "nuts and Bolts" of these rules of competition would be nice to have on hand. If not free access would there be a place to purchase a hard copy. Thanks

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:51 pm

1yeldud1 wrote:With all these obscure rules for high school athletes in Missouri I was wondering if there is a web site that lists in detail the context of these rules. It would be nice for a parent access to resurch these rules as needed. The mshsaa web page has a "generic" sterile version posted. But access to the "nuts and Bolts" of these rules of competition would be nice to have on hand. If not free access would there be a place to purchase a hard copy. Thanks

I agree! :yes:

Unfortunately, It doesn't seem to work like that. I've seen MSHSAA,NFHS,AAU, & USATF all point fingers at one another and send you from one place to another to get an answer. To be fair, the AAU and USATF folks have done a better job of distributing info than the MSHSAA or NFHS ever will.

Bottom line, the NFHS can't seem to keep track of their own "official" but "non-published" rules unless someone crys foul about someone else and they have to research it. Of course, it infers that the person who knows the rulemakers best often has the advantage. I've thought all the rules should have been posted clearly on a number of websites by now, and yet the NFHS and MSHSAA hold on to the funds they generate from selling a $5 book(s) like its manna from heaven. Does anyone get rich from this, or is it time for the current leaderships in these organizations need to change first?
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:46 pm

The sad part of this problem is that some kid gets "raked" over the coals in order for the general public to find out this information. Sometimes as adults we tend to loose sight of the real objectives of kids in sports. I know that you vaultdad seem to have your priorities in the right place, if ALL ADULTS would work as hard as they could for kids possibly, just possibly we could help some children from going down the wrong paths in life. But when we have to act like lawyers just to get simple information, you have to ask your self are we all going the same direction ????????

Return to “North and Central Regions”