Matt Gansenberg Article (MA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Matt Gansenberg Article (MA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:31 am

http://www2.townonline.com/hamilton/sch ... eid=263428

H-W senior vaults way to New Englands
By Eric Snyder/ esnyder@cnc.com
Thursday, June 9, 2005

The difference between so-so and super-duper hung in the balance for Mat Gansenberg.
The senior at Hamilton-Wenham High School was on his third and final attempt to clear 12 feet in the pole vault June 4 at the all-state track meet at Worcester State College.
Gansenberg, 18, planted the pole and uncoiled himself for the long trip up and - hopefully - over the bar. It was not a perfect trip. Gansenberg skimmed the bar, which shook a little but stayed in place. He was through to the next round.
Clearing 12 feet, which matched his personal best, had a calming effect on Gansenberg. Because on his next jump, he easily cleared 12 feet, 6 inches for the first time in his life, wrapping up a berth in the New England meet.
"That was probably the best jump I've ever had," said Gansenberg, who lives in Georgetown. "It wasn't even that close. Once I cleared 12 (feet) on my third attempt, I was a little more relaxed."
"Relax" was the word of the day for Gansenberg. That word hardly described him at the Class D meet, when Gansenberg still won but with a disappointing-for-him vault of 11-6 (younger brother Andy, a sophomore, was sixth at the class meet).
So in the week leading up to the all-state meet, H-W coach Steve Sawyer continued to stress to Gansenberg to, well, not stress.
"In the past he had the tendency to tighten up a bit when the competition was tougher," Sawyer said. "We focused on being relaxed at all times, being confident and just having a good time."
Gansenberg was looking for a good time when he first came upon the pole vault. Gansenberg went to the Cape Ann Waldorf School in Beverly until eighth grade when he used school choice to attend Hamilton-Wenham. He knew he wanted to be on the track team in the spring, but as a freshman he had no idea what events he might want to do.
"I thought pole vaulting sounded pretty cool," Gansenberg said, "or the most crazy."
It does sound crazy to run at full speed carrying a 13-foot pole, then placing that pole in a tiny box and hurtling yourself high in the air. It must be even more crazy for someone to do it the first time.

That should have happened to Gansenberg. But in his first week of practice, all it did was rain. By the time the Generals went outside for the first time, Gansenberg was just happy to be outdoors. He took the pole and ran with it.
"I just got really into it from there," he said.
Gansenberg always had high expectations for himself, and he started to fulfill those expectations this spring. He wanted to win the Cape Ann League meet. Check. He wanted to win the Class D meet. Check. He wanted to finish in the top four at the state meet and advance to the New Englands. Check.

That last one wasn't going to be easy. But a more relaxed Gansenberg had no problems early on, clearing the bar at 10-6, 11 feet and 11-6 on his first attempts. It took him three tries, but he was one of five vaulters to clear 12 feet. And when he soared over the bar at 12-6, the trip to the New England meet - Saturday at Thornton Academy in Saco, Maine - was his. So was a spot on theBoston Globe All-Scholastic Outdoor Track team.
"It was a beautiful vault," Sawyer said. "I think he was surprised when he made 12-6 on his first vault and it was really so easy for him. It was impressive. It was a wonderful feeling for everyone there."
Gansenberg, who will vault for UMass-Dartmouth starting in the fall, would love to keep that feeling going at the New England meet. He'll have to be on top of his game - the competition opens with the bar at 12-6.
"They're not messing around," Gansenberg said.
Neither is he.

Return to “New England Region”