Lots of problems at NJSIAA/Star-Ledger Relays (NJ)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lots of problems at NJSIAA/Star-Ledger Relays (NJ)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Problems plague pole vault at relays
Monday, January 14, 2008
By JIM LAMBERT
For the Star-Ledger
The pole vault caused headaches for competitors, coaches and the meet director as the event was marred by controversy during the NJSIAA/Star-Ledger group relays at the Jersey City Armory this past weekend.

As the girls' Group 2 pole vault unfolded yesterday, several vaulters and their coaches felt that the heights they were told they were attempting were not accurate.

"On my opening height, I went over it by way more than I usually do," Montville junior Chrissy Finkel, the state's No. 1 vaulter, said. "I kind of sensed something was wrong, especially after I made 12-6."

Advertisement

When the competition concluded, NJSIAA Track and Field Tournament Director Don Danser investigated and discovered that the official in charge of measuring the height of the bar, Victor Hurley, had not measured correctly.

According to Danser, Hurley measured the entire girls' Group 2 competition from the bottom of the plant box, where the pole strikes on impact, instead of at the top of the box, which is a difference of eight inches.

After a long discussion, it was determined that all the pole vault marks from the girls' Group 2 meet had to be adjusted by eight inches, so Finkel, who was originally credited with a 12-6, was given an 11-10, still breaking her own Morris County record of 11-9 3/4.

Danser then removed Hurley from duty as the measurement official prior to the start of the boys' Group 2 pole vault, which was highlighted by a 15-0 clearance by Dan Batdorf of West Deptford, No. 12 in state history.

"It's kind of bittersweet," Finkel, a junior, said. "I wish the height was right, but I knew that it wasn't. It's a shame, but what can you do? It's over with now."

"There's no excuse for an official making that mistake," Danser said. "It is so unfair to the kids, but it's something that won't happen again because he won't work another state meet."

Danser added that many of the pole vault results from Friday's Non-Public and Saturday's Groups 1 and 4 meets were most likely wrong, as well, as the same official did some of the measurements.

"Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the marks from those other meets," Danser said. "He (Hurley) wasn't measuring all the time at the other meets, so there is no way to pinpoint which marks were measured incorrectly."

On Saturday, one of the crossbars broke during the girls' Group 1 meet. Later that night, a second crossbar snapped during the boys' Group 4 event, forcing Danser to suspend the event, as there were no other crossbars at the armory or anywhere nearby.

With the event suspended an overall champion could not be crowned. Trenton was leading Group 4 with 32 points, eight more than Hillsborough, which has a very strong pole vault tandem. Danser said he wants to find a way to finish the event, if possible, before the end of the indoor season.

"By the end of this week I will know what we are going to do," he said. "I have to check on the availability of sites."

dan WD17
PV Beginner

Unread postby dan WD17 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

My 15 foot jump has nothing to do with this correct? It does count right?, because when i jumped at 15 i made the officials put it at 15 feet because for some reason they wern't using the top peg, but using the pegs in the middle of the standards. So my final jump the cross bar was at the top, at 15. Why would they use the bottom of the standards? i don't know what goes on in there heads sometimes lol .

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 am

dan WD17 wrote:My 15 foot jump has nothing to do with this correct? It does count right?, because when i jumped at 15 i made the officials put it at 15 feet because for some reason they wern't using the top peg, but using the pegs in the middle of the standards. So my final jump the cross bar was at the top, at 15. Why would they use the bottom of the standards? i don't know what goes on in there heads sometimes lol .

It sounds like your mark is OK because that was after they discovered the problem.

CHOBOOO
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHOBOOO » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Yeah i was there that meet..
lol
Jersey City Armory
but even though it wasn't the right height
the jump still looked really good :D

Return to “Northeast Region”