Mahwah's Stripe stars in football, pole vault (NJ)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mahwah's Stripe stars in football, pole vault (NJ)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:53 pm

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXk2

Mahwah's Stripe stars in football, pole vault

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

By DARREN COOPER
STAFF WRITER

MAHWAH -- Greg Stripe has cleared tacklers and 15 feet, and it's hard to say which is better.

"It depends," said Stripe, when asked whether scoring a touchdown is more satisfying than a great pole vault. "Is it indoor or outdoor? Or whether it's a game-winning touchdown. It comes down to specifics."

The specifics for this Mahwah senior running back are 1,090 yards and 14 touchdowns. And off the gridiron he is the Group 2 State champion in the pole vault, closing in on the Bergen County record.

Thursday, though, Stripe is locked in on finishing his high school football career with a flourish as the Thunderbirds play host to Ramsey with a share of the NBIL Division 2 title at stake.

"It's important," said Stripe, 18. "It's the last game of my high school career and they kind of whipped our butts last year. I am looking for revenge pretty much."

Stripe started his high school football career as a slotback/wide receiver, but the Thunderbirds' coaching staff wanted to get his hands on the ball more often and switched him to running back last year.

"We just felt that we had to utilize his speed," said Mahwah coach Jeff Remo. "Sometimes I feel like when the game is over, we didn't give him enough touches."

Stripe had never played the position before, but took to it right away.

"It felt great," he said. "I felt like I was a natural running back. I just like carrying the ball more. Running back in our offense is a key position, probably more than wide receiver to be honest. I just want the ball every chance I get."

A natural is what Mahwah track coach Rob Pasek saw when he encouraged Stripe to try the pole vault as a freshman. Now the 5-foot-8, 170-pound Stripe can't get enough of the event.

"It's been addictive," Stripe said.

Remo smiled when he was asked if he has ever had a running back/pole vaulter before, saying Stripe is the first.

"In the off-season, he is training for speed and upper body strength, so it helps him become a better football player," Remo said. "What's deceiving is everybody thinks football players are big guys. There are guys in the NFL 5-7, 160 pounds. [Greg] is lightning quick and is a tough, tough kid."

"I think the main thing with football skills is you have to be really agile and quick on your feet and a quick thinker," said Stripe. "It's a little different in an individual sport like track. It's all me. It's a lot more technique involved with pole vaulting."

The one drawback Stripe sees with doing both is that he can't work on the pole vault while he is working on football, and it takes him awhile to rediscover his feel for the pole.

"Last year I expected to do real well at the beginning of the season, and it was hard for me to get back up to those heights again," said Stripe. "You really have to work at it and I wasn't as consistent because you can't practice as much."

Stripe would like to do both in college, at least for a year. Lehigh, Connecticut and Northeastern have contacted him.

"The best thing I can do with myself is I want to do both my freshman year in college and branch off," said Stripe. "I don't think I can be successful in both, so I want to focus on what would be the best."

CHOBOOO
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHOBOOO » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 pm

he had his bad days too. =/
i was taping him at a meet
i was expecting 14+ feet
but he didnt make any height 8(

Return to “Northeast Region”