nj helmets?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

njvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby njvaulter » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:39 am

The helmet that he gave me was a pro tec helmet I think. The type you see skaters using alot.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

call that company for a surprise

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:41 am

njvaulter wrote:The helmet that he gave me was a pro tec helmet I think. The type you see skaters using alot.

I suggest you call the company and ask them if their liabilty will cover accidents while using their helmet for the pole vault event. I am sure you will find a surprising answer!!!

NovaVault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby NovaVault » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:26 pm

I jump in New Jersey when I was in High School and I have to say that a helmet might not be a bad idea. Even though they have passed the new minimum pit size rule I doubt that it is being enforced at all league duel meets, and I can remember many kids (including myself) almost eating it due to hitting the mats and rolling off the sides or back. I mean, I jump in college now and I wasn't jumping this past weekend, but so of the kids I help coach were jumping at Widener University, just outside of Philadelphia and their pads were about the size of a matchbook, so if a NCAA DIII school can get away with illegal pads, I'm sure there are still some high schools that do it.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:11 pm

my coach is just making me sign my life away and then i don't have to wear a helmit. ask your coach if there is a safty concent form so somthing so u don't have to wear one

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:11 pm

NovaVault wrote:I jump in New Jersey when I was in High School and I have to say that a helmet might not be a bad idea. Even though they have passed the new minimum pit size rule I doubt that it is being enforced at all league duel meets, and I can remember many kids (including myself) almost eating it due to hitting the mats and rolling off the sides or back. I mean, I jump in college now and I wasn't jumping this past weekend, but so of the kids I help coach were jumping at Widener University, just outside of Philadelphia and their pads were about the size of a matchbook, so if a NCAA DIII school can get away with illegal pads, I'm sure there are still some high schools that do it.

heh i vault at widener for pcl champs... well i didnt vault last year cuase i didnt qualify but i did warmups and stuff on it b4 the competition... i like them pads. they r light adn not heavy to carry around... even without the wheely thingys... o well good stuff.
i run, therefore im buff.

tanneyman13
PV Newbie

Unread postby tanneyman13 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:03 pm

i went to jan johnsons camp this past summer, and i someone asked him what he thinks of helmuts, i dont remember his exact words but, i believe he supported the idea, but he also said that they increase the chance of whiplash on landing a lot. just something to think about...

mdavis2685
PV Whiz

Unread postby mdavis2685 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:16 pm

the deaths that happened from landing in the box head first were not from a cracked skull they were from broken necks and i personally feel that helmets will not be protecting your neck. If anything it increases your chances of becoming injuried because it is just another distraction.

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:39 am

The National Federation of High School Activities has not passed a rule on helmets. As a matter of fact ANSII has not even set a standard, to my knowledge, for a pole vault helmet. If NJ is making it a rule, which sounds fishy, they are circumventing the NHSAA. You should contact Jan Johnson at skyjumpers.com and inform him of this. He is the head of the National Pole Vault Safety committee. If your school says you have to, that's another story, but someone has to step up and say they assume responsibility if an injury occurs from your helmet.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

Return to “Northeast Region”