out-of-school competition vaulting

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

out-of-school competition vaulting

Unread postby joebro391 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but a really enthusiastic vaulter and was just wondering what type of opportunities I'll have to vault once the school, spring track season is over (between the end of June to end of August). Does anyone know where i could find out this information?? or if anyone else competes (around the NJ area; anything within a hundred miles or so is okay)

Now, I'll be 17-years-old this summer and hopefully vaulting around 14 feet. When I look for competitions in the area, they're all professional tournaments with guys that'll be vaulting around 18'6" with an opening height of 16'6". What do I have to do to find a few meets that are for my own age group?? (something similar to a highschool meet). I looked at a few links but i think the schedules were incomplete.

Can someone help me out?? Any ideas are welcome (just remember, around NJ and high-school level) I thank you all for your help and support. -Joe
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:50 pm

You need to go here: http://www.usatfnj.org/ and look into Junior Olympics.

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/search/ can also help you find meets.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:08 pm

There have been a lot more meets over the past few years around NJ, and I will probably make a list of them at some point when spring/summer rolls around. In particular, there is usually a USATF state championship meet, an international meet, and a beach vault in south jersey.

joebro391
PV Follower

Unread postby joebro391 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 pm

yea guys, i've been to those links and found nothing; the first link had no vaulting in it (yea, i hope that i rad that wrong cause it had every even but pole vaulting listed in the junior olympic meet!!!) and the second link gave me nothing but runs; no vaulting. i'll try it again though just in case i typed something wrong.

if anybody knew any specific meets, that'd be awesome

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Re: out-of-school competition vaulting

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:26 pm

joebro391 wrote:When I look for competitions in the area, they're all professional tournaments with guys that'll be vaulting around 18'6" with an opening height of 16'6".

Where in New Jersey do you live? I think the beach vault was the only meet of this caliber. Am I wrong?
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

joebro391
PV Follower

Re: out-of-school competition vaulting

Unread postby joebro391 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 pm

SlickVT wrote:Where in New Jersey do you live? I think the beach vault was the only meet of this caliber. Am I wrong?

um, i couldn't find that. but if you have the link, i might want to go see that as a spectator anyway haha

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:16 pm

The beach vault typically does have better vaulters, but that doesn't mean novices can't jump as well. This early in the season there will not be many meets scheduled, but i guarantee around May there will be more popping up. I usually check the USATF meet schedule, Direct Athletics, and a few club websites that I know of when looking for meets. Again, I will probably put up some kind of list later on in the season when I start hearing about meets.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:25 am

joebro391 wrote:yea guys, i've been to those links and found nothing; the first link had no vaulting in it (yea, i hope that i rad that wrong cause it had every even but pole vaulting listed in the junior olympic meet!!!) and the second link gave me nothing but runs; no vaulting. i'll try it again though just in case i typed something wrong.

I don't know much about the JOs in New Jersey, but out here there are some general junior olympic meets that often do not have pole vault, but your Junior Olympic Association meet has to have it because it is the qualifier for the Junior Olympic Regional meet. So if you can't find it on the schedule for the Association meet in your age group, ask the meet director.

FriarPV
PV Nerd

Unread postby FriarPV » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:08 am

joebro391 wrote:yea guys, i've been to those links and found nothing; the first link had no vaulting in it (yea, i hope that i rad that wrong cause it had every even but pole vaulting listed in the junior olympic meet!!!) and the second link gave me nothing but runs; no vaulting. i'll try it again though just in case i typed something wrong.

They will not contest the Vault or Multi's at the association meet.
http://www.usatfnj.org/youth/2008_JO_As ... p_Meet.pdf
You will automaticaly advance to the regional championships on 6/3-6-6 @ Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
http://www.usatfnj.org/youth/2008_Junior_Olympics.html

cheezit
PV Newbie

Unread postby cheezit » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi -

I'm also looking for summer competition -- Maryland.

Age 17.

Also --- How do you qualify for USATF Mid-Atlantic JO's in Pittsburgh this JUly? I can't find a club around here with PV ..

Thanks mucho.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 pm

cheezit wrote:Hi -

I'm also looking for summer competition -- Maryland.

Age 17.

Also --- How do you qualify for USATF Mid-Atlantic JO's in Pittsburgh this JUly? I can't find a club around here with PV ..

Thanks mucho.

You can compete unattached, you don't have to be part of a club. Check your USATF Association's website. Some (most?) Associations let anyone compete at the Association Championship who signs up. A few Associations make you compete at a qualifying meet though.

From Associations, a certain number qualify to Regionals, and from Regionals a certain number qualify to Nationals.

ipv1966
PV Newbie

NJ FACILITY

Unread postby ipv1966 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

I have a brand new facility in Tuckerton NJ with a new UCS pit, tons of poles and an indoor weight gym. We jump 5 days a week from March threw November or as long as the weather holds out. Alan Launder is coming to our facility July 2nd and 3rd to run a camp. We will have meets most Sundays at noon when summer gets closer but at the moment we hold open practice Sat. and Sun 12pm and 3pm and 4pm-7pm Tues. Thurs. and Fri. More info at www.ipolevault.com all are welcome.
ipolevault therefore i am

Return to “Northeast Region”