Tim and Toby....... are they done?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

pole bender
PV Nerd

Tim and Toby....... are they done?

Unread postby pole bender » Tue May 30, 2006 9:29 pm

I doubt these two will be around for 2008. No improvement in the past two years. Whats left for them? Time for the new guys imho.

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Tue May 30, 2006 9:56 pm

This is just a down year, right after the olympics, they will be back, might be training hardcore, they have a plan I'm sure.
Coach Bob Phillips

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Tue May 30, 2006 10:32 pm

hallvaulter wrote:This is just a down year, right after the olympics, they will be back, might be training hardcore, they have a plan I'm sure.

tim is what? 34? toby? 33 or so. time has passeed them by imo.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 30, 2006 10:33 pm

lol ur not the most optimistic one on this site :no: .
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:33 pm

Toby is still young, I am sure he will be at it until the next Olympics minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim tries to stick around that long too.

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Toby is still young, I am sure he will be at it until the next Olympics minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if Tim tries to stick around that long too.

tim is done. sorry. tobby? im not sure how old he is. but they havent improved. soooooo, whats left? tommy and brad....imo. 2008 we are talking about.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue May 30, 2006 11:46 pm

the 6 meter club chart says that Stevenson is 28.

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Wed May 31, 2006 12:14 am

SKOT wrote:the 6 meter club chart says that Stevenson is 28.

PR at 26... so now what? has he maxed out? go to trackandfieldnews.com
25 26 is about when the "average" elite is at his best. ask those guys, they will blow your mind away.

sjsvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby sjsvaulter » Wed May 31, 2006 12:54 am

tim is done. sorry. tobby? im not sure how old he is. but they havent improved--polebender

I'm not going to lie; I'm biased because these are two of my favorite vaulters. But I still think you're flat out wrong.

Toby jumped 18'10 in college and didn't pr for about the next 4, maybe even 6 years, until he jumped up to 19'8" in 04, so by your logic toby should've quit vaulting before he had what was probably the best season of his life. Even coming into 04, even before toby jumped 19' in the winter, toby definitely wasn't a favorite for the olympics. Also, this is considered a down year in t&f--some athletes don't aim to peak in a year in which there is not an outdoor world championship or olympics.

Tmack was 32 when he won in 04. Most people say that's too old, so I don't know where you get the idea that 32 isn't too old to compete at the highest level but that 36 is too old. Hartwig--another guy who had to wait till later in his career to jump really high--can still jump 19.

Most importantly the odds that any person, young or old, will make the team are pretty bad due to how competive the USA Oly trials are.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 am

You can't count those guys out! You're under-estimating the magical powers of an Olympic year! Everyone comes out of the woodwork every four years. Tim and Toby have a lot of experience at big meets. They'll be back!

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 am

Its like every year, a college athlete trains for the confrence championships. If they are tough enough, the nationals, and if they are truely a stud, USAs in July. Periodization (an annual lifting plan, or bi-annual... etc.) works. And usually, it works well. Why else do people mainly PR at the confrence, last chance meets and nationals?

Now turn that around... instead of one year, to peak for indoors and outdoors, they have four years to peak for the main event. Most pole vaulters can name the last 3 or 4 olympic champions, but who can name the indoor world champ of 2001? Olympics are the main event for these guys, I think they will have some competition, but I think it might be a little ignorent to count 2 guys that have jumped 6m out of it.

PS... http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/ shows mack turning 34 in September, and Toby turning 30 in November. It also shows Jeff jumped 6.02 (i thought this was 6.03, but either way, higher than Tim and Toby) when he was 35. I really think Tim and Toby still have it.

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Wed May 31, 2006 12:20 pm

one man, two words...... JEFF HARTWIG

it can be done...
8700... mark it down

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”