Drake Relays Mall Vault - Hollis 5.60, Jeremy Scott 5.50

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Drake Relays Mall Vault - Hollis 5.60, Jeremy Scott 5.50

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:55 pm

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S ... =menu100_2

Organizers Promise Big Bash For 100th Drake Relays
Updated: Jan 12, 2009 06:05 PM

January 12, 2009--One-hundred days from now, the 100th running of the Drake Relays begins. This year, relays director Brian Brown says the event will be bigger and better than ever because the events have been in the works for years.

To commemorate the event, a committee selected ten men and ten women as athletes of the century. All twenty will return to Drake for a celebration during the relays.

Officials say they will once again hold the pole vault at Jordan Creek Town Center. But there are many events where the details are being kept top secret. One thing, organizers say, is for sure: this is going to be big.

"There's a lot of track meets throughout the United States, but I believe there's only one Drake Relays and that's something we want to magnify for the next 100 days," Brian Brown said.

The Drake Relays now has a special website, DrakeRelays100.com. It includes trivia questions, biographies and memorable moments.

adidas24
PV Newbie

Re: Drake Relays Mall Vault to return

Unread postby adidas24 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:11 pm

This was an amazing thing to watch last year! I'm really looking forward to it again this year. Anyone know any of the jumpers that will be at the Mall Vault?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:33 pm

http://www.radioiowa.com/gestalt/go.cfm ... 0E3705673D

The Drake Relays will be taking a pole vault exhibition indoors, again, this year. Director Brian Brown says a West Des Moines mall will play host to the pole vault next Wednesday April 22nd at the Jordan Creek Mall.

Brown expects the event to attract a large crowd even though it's a 6 o'clock start.

StickMan
PV Newbie

Unread postby StickMan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Anybody planning any live updates from the Mall tonight?

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 pm

It's possible. Me and a few masters vaulters just checked into our hotel and are about to head to the mall. I'll see what we can do between us. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Sorry but it was a ZOO!! GREAT crowd but I got there too late at 5:40. Only five guys started and they began at 5.40m. I talked to Hartwig a bit and got out of there since there was no place to stand and have a view. The announcer was USATF circuit star Larry Rosen. I heard it was on TV so I’m going back to the room to try and watch it there. Bubba

PS - Jeff is our master of ceremonies tomorrow for the masters vault and will be coaching us as well. Can't wait! Bubba
http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti ... ID=3720881
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Mark Hollis had another great showing... won it with 5.60 and had great attempts at 5.72!
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

StickMan
PV Newbie

Unread postby StickMan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Congratulation Mark! Great Job!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 am

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArti ... ID=3726238

Hollis Wins Drake Relays Mall Pole Vault Before Track & Field Legends
PRINT | E-MAIL | E-NEWS | SHOP | RSS

WEST DES MOINES, IOWA -- Mark Hollis cleared 18 feet 4.5 inches to win the second annual Drake Relays Pole Vault in the Mall competition Wednesday night at the Jordan Creek Town Center.

More than 2,000 fans were on hand to watch five of the top pole vaulters in the United States compete including Derek Miles, who finished fourth in the 2008 Olympics.

A special VIP section included six former Drake Relays athletes who were selected as Athletes of the Century in conjunction with the 100th running of the Drake Relays.

Two-time Olympian Steve Scott, the former American record holder in the mile; 1984 Olympic gold medal sprinter Calvin Smith; 1984 Olympic gold medal sprinter Lillie Leatherwood; Mike Boit from Kenya who earned a bronze medal in the 800 at the 1976 Olympics; four-time Olympic high jumper Amy Acuff; two-time Olympic pole vaulter and American indoor record holder Jeff Hartwig.

In addition, Beverly Prather, the daughter of track immortal Jesse Owens and Dawn Prather, Jesse's granddaughter, watched the event. Jesse Owens was named the Drake Relays Athlete of the First Half Century as well as one of the top 20 Drake Relays Athletes of the Century.

"It is amazing thing to be a part of this and a historic event, especially in track and field and these are people I look up to that were my heroes two or three years ago," said Hollis. "Now I'm up with them and it is really neat to be able to meet those guys and talk with them."

Miles was the defending champion in the event but tied for third this time around with Darren Niedermeyer at 17-8.5.

Jeremy Scott, who was ranked No. 7 in the U.S. last year, finished second at 18-0.5.

Jacob Pauli was the only athlete who failed to clear the opening height of 17-8.5.

Hollis cleared the winning height on his second attempt and the bar was raised to 18-9.25 where he missed three times.

"I felt my last jump was my best chance at it, " said Hollis. "I was still getting used to the runway and my approach and so it was a combination of putting those things with the right pole and making the bar and today it just didn't stay up."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 am

So based on the press release, it looks like the results were:

1. Mark Hollis 5.60
2. Jeremy Scott 5.50
3. (tie) Derek Miles 5.40
3. (tie) Darren Niedermeyer 5.40
nh. Jacob Pauli NH

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Drake Relays Mall Vault - Hollis 5.60, Jeremy Scott 5.50

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:24 am

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... 4/90422086

Drake Relays: Pole vault champ now runs with 'bigwigs'
BY ANDREW LOGUE • ALOGUE@DMREG.COM • APRIL 22, 2009

West Des Moines, Ia. — Once Mark Hollis secured the victory, he captivated the crowd.

The 24-year-old from Freeport, Ill., was the last pole vaulter standing Wednesday at Jordan Creek Town Center, and all eyes were on him as he tried three times to clear 18 feet 91/4 inches.

“It’s like no other experience,” said Hollis, who made a winning vault of 18-4½.

“Everybody just pushing you down the runway, over that bar.

“Nobody wants you to fail.”

Hollis’ night ended with three misses, but that didn’t prevent more than 2,000 shoppers from getting caught up in the moment.

After Hollis’ chest hit the bar on his first attempt, the public address announcer introduced former Drake Relays champions Steve Scott and Mike Boit, who returned to Iowa for the meet’s centennial celebration.

The daughter and granddaughter of track and field icon Jesse Owens were also among the spectators.

“It’s just an amazing thing to be a part of this,” Hollis said, “and be a part of an historical event.”

Hollis’ hip grazed the bar on his second try. His third ended with another chest bump.

“It was close,” he said. “It’s so early in the outdoor season, I’m still trying to get my legs and get my wind under me.”

It was a significant win for Hollis, who emerged as a surprise runner-up a year ago at Jordan Creek.

“It was definitely a little more comfortable,” Hollis said. “Last year, I was the new guy coming up. I didn’t really know any of the bigwigs.”

The bigwigs have taken notice of Hollis.

Derek Miles, the 36-year-old Olympic Trials champion, says Hollis is leading a new generation of vaulters.

“That’s what our sport needs,” Miles said. “There’s kind of this older contingent of guys in their 30s or late 20s, and the guys who are 24 or 25 that are kind of moving their way up.

“That’s kind of the future of the sport.”

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”