The next generation?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Re: The next generation?

Unread postby VaultLove » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:43 am

The answer? How lucrative was this effort? marketing, circuit? Seriously, How many pole vaulters recieve guarantee money in America? Naturally, Jen would. Walker, Miles ranked on a consistent basis world top

<<<In an interview *(Ken Stone) in 2008, Jeff Hartwig was quoted >>>

I am actually going to start a management company working as an agent for athletes. My goal is to improve on what current agents do in terms of marketing of athletes.
I also would like to start some sort of coaching. I would love to work with some high level athletes but for now I will probably focus on starting a club situation where I can work with local athletes on a regular basis. I am also talking with some of the other athletes about working to start a pole vault circuit.

altius wrote:Just a thought - what is needed to help the next generation of US vaulters - folk like Niedermeyer, Mondshein and Hollis for example move to world class -ie 5.80 plus?

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Re: The next generation?

Unread postby SlickVT » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:23 pm

It seems to me (being a long time PVPer and mediocre post-collegiate vaulter), that we seem to be approaching the problem from the wrong end of the spectrum. The problems we are trying to solve... not enough meets, not enough fundraising, etc, are being solved by people like Carolina21 and Bryan Carrell and anyone else kind enough to organize meets for young vaulters. People like that are organizing street meets, we are going door to door looking for some help from sponsorship, businesses, etc.

Imagine this. If the NFL instantly stopped working... would the players start organizing a season, or would they call on the Commish and the organizational committee to do it?

I think the way to go about this is to go top-down and not bottom up like we are now. Charge more for USATF memberships, and use that income to hire a few (3-4 post-collegiate athletes and/or experienced people willing to do so full-time) to organize regional USATF meets on a monthly, tri, or bi-weekly basis. I know I would have paid more for a membership in my meager post-collegiate financial status to have more meets last year instead of calling my season over in May because of a lack of meets.

Look for volunteers to run the meets... certify them if they aren't already... that generates more income. Thus, there would be organized regional meets on a constant basis providing opportunity. Track and field enthusiasts would love a chance to help out at meets and stay involved in the sport... I WOULD.

The same organization could delve into fundraising... thus instead of Mr. Mondschein or Mr. Hollis showing up at the local business to get some help, the USATF Regional Committee Director would be on the phone and more concrete deals can be struck. Prize money can be offered on a constant basis. Get support and help from those already involved, AKA Carolina21, Chris Smith, Bryan Carrell, etc to take care of details instead of organizing the whole deal.

Fill in the gaps with street meets and beach vaults. If it won't work for full-out track meets, then cut the number or people organizing to 2 and focus on pole-vault-only meets.

Would that not kill two birds with one shotgun? The effort would come from the top with aid from the bottom instead of from the bottom with NO help from the top.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”