USA track and Feild Article

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu May 05, 2005 12:15 am

;): yes: rainbow...

keep learning.. that is the key..

i'm moving up there.. with the "old boys" (i'm a recent grandpa.. thanks daughter for twin boys) and have had reasonable success for over 30 years.. this past year i though "i got it" ... but i didn't totally have it.. i have learned every day since then... sometimes with the same athlete and sometimes from someone new...

when you feel like you "have it" ...tomorrow you will pick up something new.. or a different twist... sometimes i ask other coaches to help my jumpers... just to give them a different voice.. different perspective...

why should someone coach? to help the athlete be as good as they can be..

listen to this coaches!!! from this "oldie"...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu May 05, 2005 6:06 pm

this right now is my seventh year jumping, i live in a house of 5 other guys that have all pole vaulted sometime in their life, and 5 of the 6 of us do it here at school. We still continue to question each other's thoughts, opinons, and watch video of all sorts of athletes (tall, short, fast, slow, lanky, muscular...) only to find out what we think will for best for each one of us.

i.e. An international athlete has some qualities about him that I don't. More than likely, he is tall (about 6'2"), fast and strong. Some things work well for people who are tall, some things work better for those who are not tall.

I think, generally, that the pole vault is mechanically sound. Being a physics guy, a lot of is just makes sense. However, one should learn how to pole vault the bast way that he or she can, not just the way the big dogs do it...

(although they are obviously on the right track ;) )

vaultfan

Vaulting's New Suhr Thing

Unread postby vaultfan » Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 am

The entire article which appeared in the April issue of "Track and Field" magazine is now posted on the Suhrsports website.

http://www.suhrsports.com/pdflib/04_05.pdf

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 06, 2005 1:20 pm

From the pdf file of the article, I cut and pasted the following:

[b]Suhr Sportsâ€â€

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:35 pm

A phone call is probably better, I don't think he's real big on email.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Fri May 06, 2005 11:11 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:A phone call is probably better, I don't think he's real big on email.
I believe this to be true. He told me himself that he is not big on computers and/or email. In fact, one of his vaulters does his website for him.

Some of you are making to much out of the article. The guy is a hell of a coach. He has been thrust into the spotlight because of his success. Give him a break. Change the subject by not responding to this thread.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat May 07, 2005 2:20 am

I wasn't complaining about what he said, I was trying to find out how I could be coached by him!

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sat May 07, 2005 10:23 pm

No problem here. My comments were two different ones, perhaps they should have been different threads, instead of different paragraphs same thread. :D
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”