Isinbayeva 5m!!!

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

mowad1
PV Whiz

Unread postby mowad1 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:27 pm

"Her record-shattering performance came eight years and nine days after Ukraine legend Sergei Bubka became the first man to vault six metres."

I don't think Bubka jumped 6.00m for the first time 8 years ago. More like 18 years ago.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:07 pm

owlvaulter wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:Here is the video of her jumping 5.00 meters

http://folk.uio.no/perel/Isinbajeva5m.mpg

It's cutting off before she clears it :(

Try saving it to your hard drive.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:16 pm

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 pm

So she opened higher than the 2nd best American women of all-time's PR? Great.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 pm

achtungpv wrote:So she opened higher than the 2nd best American women of all-time's PR? Great.

LMAO...that unbelievable
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:56 pm

hummmmmmmmmm.. i wonder if we (american coaches) need to admit we have our technical brains hiding behind our ego's!!! or up our A$$$$$E$... or maybe we should continue to try and blame our "lack of talent"!!! yep that's the best answer blame the athlete...

not ...

first thing i notice, of course, is the run and pole carry!!! are our girls (and guys) in-capable of this technique.......... or are we just not teaching them properly??? or do we care??

oh.. she was "born" with that run and pole carry!! yep that's it..

and we wonder, as coaches, why we have "mental" pole vaulters..

of course anytime a coach tells me their vaulter is "mental" i know where it's coming from......

truthfully.. her plant isn't that special, average, nor is the swing.. but she did take-it down the middle.. better plant and better swing would = a higher grip and 17'...

vaulters it's time you took over your own coaching....... go back to how it was done before we had all these "special" coaches that invent things to coach so they can feel like they are doing someting...

it's RUN....PLANT....SWING

nothing more nothing less...........

old school was to COPY the good ones... if you will do that we will have the first american 16' and 20' vaulters..

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

SkyHigh21
PV Fan

Unread postby SkyHigh21 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:32 am

amen to that.... a big, huge AMEN!
When good my jump... it will be done!- Sergei Bubka
(1994 interview about breaking the world record)

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 am

dj wrote:it's RUN....PLANT....SWING
nothing more nothing less...........

I like that

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:18 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/high-a ... click=true

Russia's Isinbayeva soars to new heights
July 23, 2005 - 12:36PM
Page Tools

Over it ... Russia's Yelena IIsinbayeva clears 5 metres to set a new world record.
Photo: AP
Yelena Isinbayeva kept her promise today when she became the first woman pole vaulter to break the five metres barrier.

The Olympic champion smashed her world record, sailing over the height on her first attempt to the delight of the 18,000 sell-out crowd at the London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace.

Isinbayeva said last year she was confident of breaching the mark.

"I don't want to sound overconfident but I don't think this five-metre barrier is something out of reach since I have been over five metres in training a couple of times already and I think it's just a matter of time before I do it in competition," Isinbayeva told Reuters in September.

It was just a matter of time but it still came sooner than expected.

Dubbed 'Sergei Bubka in a skirt' by the media in her native Russia because of her domination and habit of increasing the world record a centimetre at a time, Isinbayeva broke with tradition and added four to the best of 4.96 which she had set on her previous effort in Friday's competition.

It was the former gymnast's fourth world record of the month and her 17th in total since clearing 4.82 two years ago.

AdvertisementAdvertisement
"It was my dream to be the first woman over five metres," a delighted Isinbayeva said on Friday.

"I can't explain my feelings. I don't know how much higher I can go, maybe 5.05 or higher.

"I would like to have 36 world records," she said in reference to Bubka, who set 35 before retiring. "It's my new goal."

Ukrainian Bubka broke the men's record seemingly at will between 1984 and 1994. His outdoor mark of 6.14 metres and indoor one of 6.15 still stand.

Isinbayeva has always said that money - she gets $50,000 for each new mark - has played a role in her strategy.

"I want to be Sergei Bubka and get there centimetre by centimetre because I am not a rich girl," she once said.

But her performances are more than just money-driven. The dark-haired Volgograd native plays to the crowd, smiling and blowing kisses after successful vaults.

She delighted fans after last year's Golden League meeting in Brussels by jumping on stage and singing her national anthem with the Black Sea Cossacks Choir.

A relatively new discipline in women's athletics, Isinbayeva has taken the event to new heights since the first world record of 4.05 metres was set by China's Sun Caiyun in 1992.

Last year, the Russian won the Olympic title after staring defeat in the face.

In third place and in danger of being eliminated after failing at 4.70 and 4.75, Isinbayeva raised the bar to 4.80 which she cleared majestically. She went on to win gold with a then world record of 4.91.

It is almost certain that she will add the world title to her triumphs next month in Helsinki.

Reuters

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 am

She made Sports Center's top 10 plays.....and the announcers definatly had no background in pole vaulting....they couldn't make any witty coments...they just narrated the clip.
Man Up and Jump

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:50 am

VaultMarq26 wrote:She made Sports Center's top 10 plays.....and the announcers definatly had no background in pole vaulting....they couldn't make any witty coments...they just narrated the clip.

that's kinda funny...and yet sad at the same time :(

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:15 am

You know when someone think it is impossible to do something, and then someone does it, then it seems like everyone does it after. For example, when man broke the 4 minute mile. before he did, they said it was impossible, but once he did, many others did it too.

So, when is the next woman going to break 5 meters, and who is it?
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”