Rory Quiller

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Rory Quiller

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Jplatel5000 wrote:LOL who is rory quiller?

Kind of a strange question, considering that google gives over 3,000 hits to "rory quiller" vault , and PVP gives over 22 pages of hits to "quiller". :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

GiVaulter09
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.00
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker, Rory Quiller

Unread postby GiVaulter09 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 pm

The even stranger thing is that Rory coaches JPlatell everyday at Binghamton...
Grade - College Sophomore
PR - 5.00m - 16' 4.75"

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 am

GiVaulter09 wrote:The even stranger thing is that Rory coaches JPlatell everyday at Binghamton...

Okay, I get it . . .

GV_PV_08
PV Newbie
Expertise: Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.50
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Stowe

Unread postby GV_PV_08 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Get Up and Go Like Hell

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:29 pm

He has shown, no improvement. NO national teams? NH in U.S. and Asia. Some argue about support here. Others have pointed out that Rory has a corporate sponsor but yet no improvement. Few results over 5.50 as a post collegiate athlete.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

He's probably figuring out that it is really hard to coach and train concurrently.

It wouldn't surprise me if he were too conscientious and too nice of a guy to concentrate on his jumping instead of that of his athletes.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

ALSO, and I can personally vouch for how crazy difficult this is.

Rory is currently working on a masters program at SUNY Bing. Masters programs are extremely intense, especially when coupled with coaching, and training. So I wouldn't write Rory off just yet.. He is a guy that will jump high in the future.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Jplatel5000
PV Newbie
Expertise: freshman college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"

Unread postby Jplatel5000 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Rory will be done coaching and with his graduate work at Binghamton at the end of this outdoor season. Expect some big things from him in the years to come.

IluvMarkHollis
PV Wannabe

Unread postby IluvMarkHollis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 pm

I wish people wouldn't write him off so fast. He jumped 5.65 before! The same thing happened with Mark Hollis when he jumped 5.75 in 2008 then had a really rough indoor season in 2009. I think he will bounce back from this just like Mark did. I believe in you Rory!

Go Mark!

gyver
PV Newbie

Unread postby gyver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 pm

I was surprised to see people criticizing Rory on this forum. Many successful college jumpers have struggled the first year or two out of college. Rory is the least selfish person you will ever meet which has definitely caused his coaching and masters studies to interfere with his training. He has been trying to train at off hours after spending all day in class and with the team, which is tough to do. His MBA will be complete after this semester and he is moving back home to Colorado where he can focus more on himself, which is really what he needs to do to take his jumping to the next level. He will also be working out with Pat Manson in the future, which is a great opportunity. Hopefully he jumps higher some day, because he is capable of doing so. Regardless he will always be an exceptional person.

Mike Thompson
Binghamton University

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Well said Coach Mike.
I for one have officated the vault at meets throught his entire high school career and any time Binghamton attented meets at West Point not to mention other NCAA meets he might have been at. Give him some time.. You will see changes.
Rory is one great individual.
He does have a lot on his mind and when finally can leave NY for Colorado, things will change. Lets just leave it at that.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:20 am

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... -1/SITEMAP

Track & field: Quiller biding time until Olympics
US championships offer chance to stay in shape
Rory Quiller.

By Ken Mcmillan
Times Herald-Record
Published: 2:00 AM - 06/25/10
There's a fine line that pole vaulter Rory Quiller must walk, or jump, as it were.

He has to jump well in order to stay in shape and improve his chances of retaining a professional contract for the next two years leading up to the Olympics.

On the other hand, 2010 is the down year in track — no Olympics and no World Championships — so there's no need to beat himself up and risk injuring his troublesome hamstring for a third time this year.

Quiller, a James I. O'Neill graduate and son of former Army track coach Jerry Quiller, thrilled a handful of competitors and fans when he made a surprise appearance at last week's Empire State Games track qualifier in Middletown. Three weeks after moving to his parents' new home in Colorado, Quiller made an exhibition appearance, or glorified practice, and easily cleared 17 feet, 4 inches — that's child's play in terms of American elite pole vaulters. He's going to have to do much better than that when he competes Friday at the U.S. championships in Iowa.

"There's a ton of guys who can jump 18-6, 18-8, and I think I am hopefully one of them,'' Quiller said. "USA's is where you need to jump well. If I jump well there, that might open some doors.''

In 2008, Quiller closed out his college career at Binghamton in grand style, placing second at the 2008 U.S. Indoor Championships (clearing 18-41/2) and winning the NCAA Division I title (18-1/2).

Along with becoming an assistant coach at Binghamton, Quiller signed a pro contract with sports manufacturing company Asics, first for six months and then an additional two years. The contract provides for a travel allowance, which Quiller has used for trips to California, New York and Iowa in 2010.

However, two recurring hamstring injuries sidelined Quiller for six weeks in one stretch and four weeks in another. The visit to Middletown last week was the first time he was able to employ his full runway approach.

At the end of May, Quiller left his Binghamton coaching job and moved to Colorado to help take care of his father, who is battling cancer. He's taken an assistant track coaching job with the Colorado School of Mines.

Quiller is working out with former three-time Pan American Games champ Pat Manson in Colorado. He said Manson will give him an honest assessment about whether Quiller should head to Europe to compete this summer. Quiller already postponed one trip to France because the airline was going to charge $989 each way just to transport his poles.

"If I put up a 5.70 (meters, or 18-81/2) I might shoot across the pond to get a couple high quality meets because that would open doors as far as contracts for next year,'' Quiller said.

Quiller has earned a master's degree from Binghamton, but he's put off working on his doctorate until his pole-vaulting career pans out.

"The Olympics is something that everybody wants to do,'' Quiller said. "I am going to give it an honest effort through 2012. I am going to stay in it long enough to get a shot (for the U.S. trials) at Eugene 2012.''

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”