Research Coach Suhr

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Research Coach Suhr

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Fri May 25, 2007 9:27 am

I have seen Suhr coach only a few times.Opinions certainly vary,But after watching him at adidas with stuzinski I had to find out more on this guy people love or hate.(i was nuetral).I spent two days and even talked to one of his athletes.(No I am not stalking him!).I say this for my on preservation,(Suhr looks more like a ufc fighter than a vault coach).My findings.....
Suhr blasted on the seen in 2004 when he produced HS national leader and champ Tiffany Mask as a 11th grader.He did this with a much different self invented stlye in nowhere usa.(warm and sunny Buffalo ny.) That sameYr he had the national meet runner up,Jenn O'neil and both her and Tiff M jumped the national meet record.He also had a 10ft guy win the indoor armory nationals jumping nearly 16ft.(in less than a year)The next year He coaches 2 girls to break the HS nationalindoor record in the same meet! But critits run high saying that Saxer is just a freak athlete.( we know that after ND averaging 2ft. lower that was not the case)Amonth later this guy coaches last seeded jenn s. to win US indoor nationals.In that year both HS girls are the first to break 14ft. and go 1&2 in the nationals.2006 Suhr puts his time into what people referred to a flash in the pan stuwhateverchinski.3 us titles and the american record later people are saying she is just an athlete.Must have been true of the turtle slow maskulinskitoo.wheather you like or hate this guy one thing is clear,No one has impacted womens US vaulting more than Suhr!His style may be different but why do coaches in Europe call him the young Petrov and even Petrov has acknowledge his coaching in europe.Our best shot at a medal in the womens vault is in this guys coaching.I would put our top vaultes all with him as a national coach,But that would produce to many more critics coming up with excuses as to why he is winning plus he probably woudln't do it anyway. To blame Suhr for Saxers and Maskulinskis college failures(vaulting)makes no sense! He was a big reason for their success.As i spoke to one of his athletes they simply said that Suhr thrives and feeds on criticism.The only people that seem to hack him are jealous or are getting beat by him.His athlete said "The magic is not in the system but in the man himself,he makes you belief you can jump higher than you ever thought you could.In conclusion I remain nuetral but after looking at all the facts on Suhr and seeing him coach Stuwhatever to #3on the all-time world list and a AR.He gets my vote for the most underrated coaches of our time! but part of me agrees with the criitcs maybe i just don't like him cause hes successful.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri May 25, 2007 11:57 am

Of what critics do you speak?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:58 am

vaultmd wrote:Of what critics do you speak?

There is a thread on the T&F News site that this is really in response to.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 25, 2007 1:56 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Got a link?

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:36 pm

master wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Got a link?

- master

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=25544

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 25, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks Becca. It was an interesting read.

- master

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat May 26, 2007 8:46 am

I don’t know Rick but I have worked with and been around a lot of elite vaulters and Olympians and their coaches. I hope to meet and congratulate him on his success in Reno. Yes I’m going and cool avatar John!!

The one thing constant about high level vaulters is they all truly require something different from the coach in order be successful and the coach finds these things out the more he/she works with the athlete. With respect, I don’t think that a love or hate perception of outsiders plays a role in the motivation of a coach’s work with a developing athlete. I also don’t believe that anyone at the top of their field is driven by criticism. I believe he’s too busy being successful with the way he works with his athletes to really much care what other’s opinions are. That’s putting the focus where it should be – on the athlete. And for that too I congratulate him and wish him only the greatest of continued success. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Howler
PV Newbie

Unread postby Howler » Sat May 26, 2007 2:14 pm

[quote]Jim Mandelaro
Staff writer

(July 8, 2005) â€â€

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat May 26, 2007 11:18 pm

yeah a lot of things get said good and bad about rick. i have had multiple conversations with multiple people about his coaching, personality, etc etc..

i think the bottom line has to be that reguardless of anything else, his kids jumper high and safe, which is great for the sport!

so congrats to you guys up there.. keep up the good work
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”