How many serious vaulters in the US?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:28 pm

TreyDECA
"i think that's what it comes down to... gifts, commitment, and faith

now if you get a few like-minded vaulters who share these things with you, then you'll have an environment that you will prosper in. "

Isn't that the truth :yes: 100% with you on that

AP
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former Post Collegiate
Lifetime Best: 18' 1

Unread postby AP » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:51 pm

Food for thought here. To answer your question Barto: I'm thinking 40 guys. Can't say for the girls. College Polevaulters and above is probably in the realm of 400. So that leads us to think that smaller than 10% of college athletes continue to post collegiate. Agree/Disagree?

More so I'd like to continue off of what Russ and Trey were throwing out there for what's important or challenges for a post collegiate athlete. Weather, coaching, training partners, access, support, and finances.

That said, as an athlete out of college that had a competitive PR of 5.35 and practice in the 5.50 range, I was encouraged to continue. I had the choice to train in Southern Cal in SLO, or stay to do volunteer assistance at Illinois. I'd looked in to Texas, but Tito knows that story.

After evaluating opportunities I chose Houston, TX. Let me explain the realism of why...

Year round training conditions, lowest cost of living for a city (no income tax, $500 rent, Coach David Butler, Gymnastics center of the US, Pole Vault Community/Post Collegiate vaulters, economy and job opportunities)

I'm able to make a good living, afford flights for competition, have access to Petrov and someone who understands the theory, train in Olympic Development Center for Gymnastics, and chase women in a pretty cool city when I want ;) As well as still being able to keep in touch with my college coaches and others like Duplantis, Jan, and Agapit.

Overall, I have to agree that the difference between good and great is the ability to have intense practices w/ a specific focus, thus coaching and training partners. You can see this with some of our past greats. I invite anyone to consider Houston, but if I have to move to So Cal to get some training partners after saving money in Houston...

I want to hear some other thoughts of post collegiate vaulters.

UWvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: post collegiate vaulter, high school coach,
Lifetime Best: 18'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby UWvaulter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:47 am

AP I agree that coaches and training partners are one of the most important aspects of picking a great place to train. Like you said, intense practices with a specific focus is what brings about PRs. Training partners bring the intensity up and describe different ways of accomplishing a vault technique. I also think facilities and cost of living closely follow the importance of coaches and training partners. Keep an eye out for one training group to have a handfull over 17.

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 am

Well, now we have me(Russ Buller), Tim Mack, Toby Stevenson training at the OTC in San Diego, we should be able to get a lot accomplished this year.

Girls: Stacy, Dana Ellis, MAry Sauer, Goa Shung (China)

Hopefully things can get on track there.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:54 am

Do Dana and Gao Shuying being there close up a spot for a US athlete to be there?

I have absolutely no problem with foreign athletes training there (especially Dana!!!), I think it is good for everyone, but if they are taking up spots that could be filled by US athletes, then that's not cool.

I know someone who looked into moving there last year and were told there wasn't room. Is that just a nice way of saying "we don't think you are good enough to live here" ?

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:19 am

Barto wrote:Can't say I disagree on this one. There are maybe 20-25 full time coaches in the entire US who I would trust with my kid.

Barto

Wow, you're generous! I don't have kids yet, but if I had one now, I could maybe think of about 5 I'd want him/her to work with.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:25 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Do Dana and Gao Shuying being there close up a spot for a US athlete to be there?

I have absolutely no problem with foreign athletes training there (especially Dana!!!), I think it is good for everyone, but if they are taking up spots that could be filled by US athletes, then that's not cool.

I know someone who looked into moving there last year and were told there wasn't room. Is that just a nice way of saying "we don't think you are good enough to live here" ?

No, the usa team for track and field have 20 something spots. Dana and Gao have to pay $65/day, which you do the math, is a lot of money!!!!!!Dana pays out of her pocket to be there.

The usoc leaves spots open for foreign athletes in all sports!

USATF won't pay for athletes other than their spots that are filled and it is always full!

Becca, you are right, if they don't think you are good enough now or for the future, they will not support you. I wasn't able to get in full time until I started jumping at a high level again and showed progression.

Anyone that is an okay athlekte can go to the training center and live offsite and pay a fee, but if you want to stay there, you have to qualify with all other events for those 20 something spots. If you want to come in for a short time, you have to let them know way ahead of time, because there are other sports other than track and field. Living in paradise, there are alot of people who just want to live there and not be focused on training, they don't tolerate that.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:38 pm

Very eloquently said. Toby has thrived over there. A series of big jumps over 5.80, a silver medal from the Olympics.

TreyDECA wrote:

i think that's what it comes down to... gifts, commitment, and faith :heart:

now if you get a few like-minded vaulters who share these things with you, then you'll have an environment that you will prosper in. :yes:

Howler
PV Newbie

Unread postby Howler » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 am

I would think this girl would qualify as a serious vaulter.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10081

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:26 pm

Howler wrote:I would think this girl would qualify as a serious vaulter.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10081

um, yes.....America's finest. Only #2 all time to Stacy and vastly improving.

lonestar
PV Lover

Are you curious or serious?

Unread postby lonestar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:56 am

Are you curious or serious?

A question posed by Bubba Sparks over 5 years ago, and a damn good read:

http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/DoYouLovetoPV.htm
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Great article!

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”