How many serious vaulters in the US?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:43 pm

On the coaching point, I think there are alot of great coaches, they just exist in obscurity in high school or college programs. This is reflected in my area by all the top HS vaulters are coming from just a few schools. I think shows the coaches at these schools know what they are doing. It's hard to know if these coaches would continue to have success coaching elite vaulters.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:10 pm

He's definitely at a good school with great facilities. I can't vouch for Rodney's (an Aussie btw) coaching ability in the vault as I've not trained with him, but he's had some decent vaulters in the past, so Andrew's definitely in a good environment. That being said, I"m a little biased as to his choice of universities...... ;)

VTechVaulter wrote:
saraf wrote:
altius wrote:Three years ago when I first saw a young man named Andrew Rademacher in Reno I told Steve Chappell that he was a left handed Markov - what has happened?

i know him!!

hes not done yet. changed coaches 3 times in 2 year, give him some time to get a groove
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:27 am

Is that Rodney Z by the way??? If it is, tell him I will be checking up on him -known him for years as a 400 hurdler and half way decent decathlete. :confused:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:41 am

altius wrote:Is that Rodney Z by the way??? If it is, tell him I will be checking up on him -known him for years as a 400 hurdler and half way decent decathlete. :confused:

yes it is!

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/c-t ... ney00.html

I can get you his email address if you like. I've only actually met him once, and don't really talk to him, but he seems like a great guy.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Coach Rodney is a great guy. Good coach from what I've seen. Gave me a tip or two at a couple meets.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:03 pm

Another point is College athletes get money/scholarships. College coaches get paid very little at most institutions. I personally have seen the offers.

If your at a NCAA institution you are not suppose to also work with the money train (high school athletes). I know I will hear it for that one, but camps and private sessions with younger high school kids is where you can actually make money to pay for equipment and your time.

I personally have thought of taking a larger coaching position, but the financial offers are not great at most times they are simply GA position where you can get your masters degree. I already have one how many more do I need. Sooner or later you have to start paying bills. They are basically vaulters who just graduate who then turn into part coach part athlete while they get their masters degree. There is very little money out there for pure vault coaches.

Being in the scene myself the challenge is how do we compensate coaches so that they are willing to take the time to learn. If I want to go to Europe or Austrilia to learn I have to pay for it myself. Unless I can make money I can't go. (I still hope to take up Alan's offer before it gets to late). How can we promote and encourage learning if there is no way to afford it. You can only get so much for books, observation is the only true way to learn.

With the growing schedules for college athletes it is challenging working with them unless you can be there all the time. If the facilites are not ideal you might have a small window to workout or a couple athletes might have class so you need to meet with them a different times. If you are not on staff this because a challenge espically at smaller schools when they might only offer a class once and the athlete can not take it any other time.

Most programs, NCAA D1 included, have gone to voluntary coaches or are using Jumps coaches to work with their vaulters. Once again rather this is actually being followed those voluntary coaches should not be working with high school athletes as well (there goes their financial profits). Now the typical jumps coach looks at the vault like the long jump. If they can get a vaulter faster and stronger they can get on bigger sticks and help the team win the conference. They are usually not technical in the vault at all. Very few colleges have purely Vault coaches that are paid. They are usually throws and jumps positions.

The most rewarding position to coach is on the High school level as a high school teacher. At most schools a head track coach in the US can make an additional 4-8k a year to coach track. There are very few vault only coaching position on the college level making that. That is not including a nice 30-60k+ salary and full benefits for a highschool teacher.

It is a never ending battle and why there is a high turnover for college coaches in the US. The ones that usually survive are the ones with a past of excellence. Because they can always fall back on the come to the camp run by ex so and so. This brings in numbers which brings in cash which allows them to continue to coach. Others those whom are willing to pay the price to learn can't afford it and thus take a high school coaching job instead.

Perfect example would be my situation. Advantage of working with NAIA is I can also work with High school. I make 3 times more working with the high school teams then I do coaching at a college. How can I afford to drop the High School position to take on the college position full time. It is financially unattainable unless I get a 40 hour a week job on the side and drive myself into the ground.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:34 am

So - how many 'serious' vaulters are there in the US?? :dazed:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:35 am

17.45 :P
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

russvault
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 19'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Dana Ellis-Buller

Unread postby russvault » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:02 pm

Totally agree Mike!!!

We are still in search for the right place, right coach, right environment to expose itself. You move to SanDiego @ the OTC, you have the weather, facilities, training partners, but no real pole vault coach. You move to Baton Rouge, Hotter weather, facilties, descent coaches, but no training partners; Move to arkansas, weather, facilites arent great, but works, Pole vault coach, but me personally cant live in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and I'm from Westlake, LA????

I know talking with Brugess and Hooker, they love their training environment, weather (AUS), great coach in parnov!!!

Where can we have this?? I think the Training center could, but they wont pay enough for a good coach to move out here, give up his college job, and coach the vault and be able to live in San Diego, where rent runs about $1300 for a 1 bedroom and housing costs go from $500k???????

I think it is what the vaulter makes out of his/her situation. It could be easier, but it could be harder.

Any ideas anyone!!!?????

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41 pm

We're starting to get a group up here in Seattle, but same thing as San Diego, cost of living is not cheap.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:56 pm

I am really finding this string of posts to be interesting.

I'm a DI vaulter and am first hand experiencing this "shortage" of vault specific coaches, at times.

Me and my crew are fortunate enough to have an thirty-year old, alum wisconsin vaulter. His record still stands today for boys highschool.

He is primarily a body builder/ personal trainer/ fitness instructor, and then he is also our pole vault coach. I don't know if he gets paid or not, i don't think he does. We only see him at most twice a week. He's a good coach however there will be some times where he won't be able to make it to practice for a week or two becuase he has to make a living, i wish we would be able to work with him more often, it might help our improvement progression. We have to rely on each other for coaching which has its pluses and minuses.

Our coach also can't make it to the meets either, if it is local he trys but considering most colleges travel all over the place, its hard. We're not alone, most of the meets i've been too, team mates are coaching each other or an non-pole vault coach is attempting to help his/her athlete.

We (as in USA vaulters) are not behind anybody, we have just as good of pole vaulters as any other country, its just that we have such a large amount of young vaulters and not enough quality coaching to go around. Opportunity is almost a luck factor (meaning, right facilities, good coaching, etc.), either luck or you just have to work really hard to be the best.
I think as time goes on and if pole vaulting keeps making a good impression and maintains its attractiveness, quality coaching will increase as well

my 2 cents ;)

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:31 pm

russvault wrote:Totally agree Mike!!!

We are still in search for the right place, right coach, right environment to expose itself. You move to SanDiego @ the OTC, you have the weather, facilities, training partners, but no real pole vault coach. You move to Baton Rouge, Hotter weather, facilties, descent coaches, but no training partners; Move to arkansas, weather, facilites arent great, but works, Pole vault coach, but me personally cant live in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and I'm from Westlake, LA????

I know talking with Brugess and Hooker, they love their training environment, weather (AUS), great coach in parnov!!!

Where can we have this?? I think the Training center could, but they wont pay enough for a good coach to move out here, give up his college job, and coach the vault and be able to live in San Diego, where rent runs about $1300 for a 1 bedroom and housing costs go from $500k???????

I think it is what the vaulter makes out of his/her situation. It could be easier, but it could be harder.

Any ideas anyone!!!?????

i think it may be too hard for some of the people already in the game (sorry russ) because they often times have huge prior commitments. ie: marriage, jobs, family, etc. so they'll sacrifice some things some others.

from my perspective, getting positive gains is all about stress and focus. it's really easy to focus if you've got no problems/responsibilities. that's why i think it's hard for guys who have great potential in college or out of college have a hard time making it... it's because of focus. college courses, tuition, etc, all hang over the heads of college vaulters. and then student loans and lack of endorsement challenge the post grads. it's tough situation, but if you've got the talent and the commitment and faith, then there's nothing that can stop you.

i think that's what it comes down to... gifts, commitment, and faith :heart:

now if you get a few like-minded vaulters who share these things with you, then you'll have an environment that you will prosper in. :yes:
8700... mark it down

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”