Mary Sauer to become British?

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

mikepv1
Muahahahaha!!

Unread postby mikepv1 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:46 pm

That's a very well-founded argument. I'm going to have to agree that the U.S. does disappointingly little to support track and field athletes. In fact, the U.S. does little to support or promote any sports other than American sports such as American football, basketball, baseball, etc. The soccer clubs, in particular, have the same problems as the track and field athletes. The top two sports everywhere else in the world are soccer (football) and track and field (athletics). Name almost any developed country, and that country will most likely be represented by, at minimum, soccer players and track and field athletes. Tennis also falls in in Europe and Australia. Track and field in the U.S. is dominated by more athletes who are motivated by desire rather than stardom than any other sport in the U.S., and one would be hard pressed to come up with a first world country that is less supportive of track and field than the U.S. As for IAAF's hostility toward the United States, I don't know enough to say. I'd have to look into that, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were true. There is alot of undeveloped talent here in the U.S., due in some part to incorrect coaching emphasis, but that is a topic for another discussion. The main reason is that track and field athletes here don't get alot of the benefits from the start that European athletes get. Quite frankly, I am surprised that more athletes haven't switched purely out of lack of option. I'm not saying that I would switch in that situation, but I don't know that I would be hostile toward someone who did.

Besides, she may very well be switching to take a burden off of her relationship with her fiancee, which is a perfectly sound decision. I have to agree with Mike that she doesn't deserve criticism, especially by people who don't even know her or her situation.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

my wife loaned me back my testes for 30 seconds so I could respond, I think Mary deserves a life that goes along with vaulting, I stand by my former statement that vaulters need well rounded lives' and if she can make a living in England, then thats a bonus. I have to go now, my seconds is u
compete and jump safe, have fun

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:16 am

Yeah, well I'm still happy for Mary that she could find someone she could be happy with. And I have total control of mine. :)

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Alls FAir

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:55 am

All is fair in LOVE and POLE VAULT :D
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:01 pm

You all make valid arguments. I guess that it is difficult to judge someone in a situation that you yourself have never or may never be presented with in your entire life, especially if you don't know all the details.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:58 pm

I haven't been following the pages for awhile, but I've heard the rumor that Mary is turning British. I am disappointed. I don't support any American-born jumper who decides to jump for another country unless that person decides to move to that country. If an athlete decides to move to another home because they want to live there, then they should be able to jump for that country. But there are way too many people trying to take the loop holes into the Olympics.
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

I think it is only hearsay not a fact

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:03 pm

it takes three years to do that and she could not accomplish it in time for the OLYMPICS

I think it is only hearsay not a fact
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm just saying that there are too many people trying to find the short cuts to the Olympics. It's just another meet.
"If you don't want to be

a deadbeat like me,

I won't blame you." Owen

Beam
PV Nerd

Re: I think it is only hearsay not a fact

Unread postby Beam » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:13 pm

ESSX wrote:it takes three years to do that and she could not accomplish it in time for the OLYMPICS

There is also the World Championships right? Isn't that kinda like the Olympics?
"If you don't want to be

a deadbeat like me,

I won't blame you." Owen

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:58 pm

beam your such a friggin stud!!

i'd say lets go surf, but water is REAL crappy right now, prolly see you at the Ben Brown- my new home turf baby!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:07 pm

bj,
water is great right now. It's probably safer to swim in that water than to think that U.S. athletes who are somehow competing for other countries is not a false way of getting to the World Championships or Olympics. I'm not sure which has more BS in it. :yes:
"If you don't want to be

a deadbeat like me,

I won't blame you." Owen

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:32 am

damn... i only read the first few posts, and i say chill out. more power to 'er. way to go mary.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”