USADA Bust On Cheating USA Track and Field Athletes

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:23 pm

I'd be willing to bet that most 6m vaulters, minus maybe just one, was on something very illegal when they jumped that bar, especially the Soviet or former Soviet guys. Is it coincidence that even though we are progressing with the knowledge of our sport in the past 5-10 years that not as many guys are jumping the 6 meter mark? Hell this year 5.90 was a HUGE jump. 3 years ago it won the Olympics! 5, 6, 7 years ago these jumps were almost common place at the big meets. Granted there are shorter pegs and all this year, but i think big steps forward in testing also have had a huge effect on the heights men are jumping. Yet another reason Bubka's record will most likely not fall for a very long time if ever.

If you just take a look at the list of 6m vaulters and picture them in your head, one thing comes to mind of all of them: they are unhumanly physical.

6.15 Sergey Bubka 1993 (Although jumped Outdoor WR at 6.14 in '96 I believe
6.05 Maksim Tarasov 1999
6.05 Dmitri Markov 2001
6.03 Okkert Brits 1995
6.03 Jeff Hartwig 2000
6.01 Igor Trandenkov 1996
6.00 Radion Gataullin 1989
6.00 Tim Lobinger 1997
6.00 Jean Galfione 1999
6.00 Danny Ecker 2001
Last edited by vaultguru6 on Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:07 pm

vaultguru6 wrote:I'd be willing to bet that every 6m vaulter, minus maybe just one, was on something very illegal when they jumped that bar...

6.15 Sergey Bubka 1993 (Although jumped Outdoor WR at 6.14 in '96 I believe
6.05 Maksim Tarasov 1999
6.05 Dmitri Markov 2001
6.03 Okkert Brits 1995
6.03 Jeff Hartwig 2000
6.01 Igor Trandenkov 1996
6.00 Radion Gataullin 1989
6.00 Tim Lobinger 1997
6.00 Jean Galfione 1999
6.00 Danny Ecker 2001

Come on! "EVERY" 6m vaulter. There are some very gifted and talented athletes around the world. It doesn't mean they're doing illegal drugs. If all these vaulters were doing it, Tiger Woods must be too... Michael Jordan, yeh him too... Barry Bonds... well... we may know soon enough.

Surely not all have. Maybe a few, but maybe not any.

These vaulters deserve our respect for what they have accomplished. It is an incredible feat and they worked hard to get to these heights. Give them some credit for a job well done. Not an accusation. :no:
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

zack

Unread postby zack » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:21 pm

I did learn this summer about one of the best vaulters of the 80s. Apparently its somewhat "common" knowledge he was on roids.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:02 am

I knew of a guy back in the 90's that was (probably) juicing. He managed to get a USATF qualifier early in the outdoor season a few years, then would tank towards the end of outdoor and never make opening height at Nationals. He also asked me and one of my teammates what we were "on" one year.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:33 pm

Here's a good article from ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wi ... d=24355985

It's nice to have at least one person in the mainstream media admit that this issue goes wayyyyyyy beyond track and field.

Keith
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Keith » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:53 pm

Unfortunately it looks like our top male sprinter has been found with this new drug in his sample taken a few weeks ago, the results of his ‘B’ sample are yet to be known, I think I heard talk of a life ban if its found in his ‘B’ sample as well, but don’t quote me on that last bit. This was all from our national news though.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:56 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Here's a good article from ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wi ... d=24355985

It's nice to have at least one person in the mainstream media admit that this issue goes wayyyyyyy beyond track and field.

Yeah, it pisses me off how little track and field results and positive stories are reported, but how every drug offense is splashed all over the sports pages. We have to test more because athletes in our sport are on the WORLD stage, where the IAAF and IOC have such stringent testing requirements. Other pro sports, baseball, basketball, football, pro-wresting, are pretty much U.S. self-contained sports with so much more money involved that there is much less accountability. I guess the mentality of the administrators in those sports must be: "If it will help put another a** in the seat, let 'em cheat!"
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:47 pm

http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/1022/1644030.html

This is going to be a very intresting story, I wonder which vaulters will be involved, if any. I certainly hope none.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:03 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/1022/1644030.html

This is going to be a very intresting story, I wonder which vaulters will be involved, if any. I certainly hope none.

I don't like the idea of punishing coaches for their athletes' behavior. If there is evidence the coach contributed, then definitely, but not without that evidence.

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:00 pm

I know of some cases, mainly in the former Eastern Bloc countries, where coaches gave their athletes drugs like HGH and told them it was a supplement or something so the athletes had no clue.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:11 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:http://espn.go.com/oly/news/2003/1022/1644030.html

I would hazard a guess that it will only be big name athletes. Can't imagine designer steroids being within the price range of the average athlete.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

I agree on the publicity

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:13 pm

A runner wins the race with WORLD record time but the media is filming the runner who was tripped and feel and broke their leg..........

This is what gets top billing it is sad. The PV got a lot of press last year the wrong kind of press, I wish they could do some human interest stories instead.

There are people like:
Earl Bell Jonesboro Ark. Kris Allison SWTEXAS Jan Johnson CA. Anthony Curren Ca. Tood Copper KCMO TIM Rielly WA. Jeremy Hull KANS
Bill Falk RI Mike Pacuzzo NJ George Rodriguez Fort Worth TX Rick Attig NEB The Hoods South TX MArk rose LA. High Performance NJ Joe Dial dave Elliot OK Steve Chappel NV Greg Hull AZ
Just to name a few that give information back to the community. These would make great stories for the media????

I remember when there was Super Star competitions and most of the participants wer either race car drivers or Pole vaulters. We got publicity then. I remmebr Steve smith jumping a back flip in the pit after a good jump this was on ABC sports intro for years

I guess we have to be the skier who tumbles off the jump and toppled over and over to get on the Wide World of sports go figure!!!
PS By the way I heard he lived to see it every saturday LOL
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”