Dragila 4.55

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

KLocke
PV Whiz

Dragila 4.55

Unread postby KLocke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 am

CHULA VISTA (USA, June 13-15)

Former world record holder Stacy Dragila jumped here season best 455 cm and is coming into contention before Olympic Trials. James Dennis improved his best in discus to 63.55. In windy long jumps Trevell QUinley got 816 (+4.1) and Grace Upshaw 682 (+2.2). Shani Marks improved her triple best to 14.30 (+0.8).

joynerjon81
PV Newbie

Unread postby joynerjon81 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Good for Stacy, she has had a good run in her recovery.

How did Toby jump? I haven't heard anything from him this year. Any other results?
52 yrs old pole vault and still kicking

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

toby

Unread postby old vaulter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:01 pm

Toby is nursing a sore back...he tried to go but is saving his best effort for eugene

joynerjon81
PV Newbie

Unread postby joynerjon81 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks
Last edited by joynerjon81 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

30yrs-coaching
PV Beginner

Unread postby 30yrs-coaching » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:50 pm

I think you have a good point here. Anytime there is a pole vault only meet the marks are always going to be somewhat questionable. These marks should be acknowledged but they certainly should not be weighted as heavily as marks made in a track and field meet. We all know there are distinctive advantages to pole vault only meets...this is obvious. There really should be two seperate listings of marks. 1 for pole vault only meets and 1 for officially sanctioned track and field meets. I support whole heartedly pole vault only meets that could be the future of the event but lets not lose sight of the reality that Brad Walker jumping 6.04 in a Grand Prix Meet is a much more difficult jump than the perfect conditions found in a lot of street vaults, pole vault only meets. There are more and more marks coming out of vault only meets and an awful lot of pr's. Some realistic and some not so realistic. We must have distinction between the two types of marks. The bigger question is should USATF radify these marks to qualify somebody for national competitions?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm

If you read the original post, you can see that there were other events contested at this meet.

The results from the Olympic Training Center are always submitted to USATF and Track and Field News. I just need to figure out how to get on that email list (I don't know who sends them out) so I post them for you guys.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm

True, you can't top Walker jumping 6.04m at the Grand Prix, but don't downplay these street vaults/vault only meets too much. As long as they're USATF Sanctioned and the rules/guidelines are followed, I don't see anything wrong with them.

Keep in mind that these "vault only" meets are hosted and run by pole vaulters or vault coaches. Nobody will understand how to do it better than them. The goal is to let the vaulters compete to the best of their abilities without doing anything to interfere, right?

Just my opinion.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm

Firstly, the word is ratify. Secondly, I challenge you to roll into Donetsk and call it a bogus meet. Walker's first 6 meter jump was in a vault meet. After which we have seen what he could do. Now, there is indeed such a ranking system that credits Golden League, Super GP, GP, Permit meetings etc. So, that takes care of the gripe. It's already in place.

And you know, we are talking about good vaulters. You know that Ms. Dragila can clear 4.55.

Lastly, you do_ what_ you_ have_ to_ do. Jenn Stuczinsky is limited where she lives upstate NY. In fact she jumped a few days ago probably alone as the reported results on show 4.45. And again, we have all seen what she can do.

30yrs-coaching wrote:I think you have a good point here. Anytime there is a pole vault only meet the marks are always going to be somewhat questionable. These marks should be acknowledged but they certainly should not be weighted as heavily as marks made in a track and field meet. We all know there are distinctive advantages to pole vault only meets...this is obvious. There really should be two seperate listings of marks. 1 for pole vault only meets and 1 for officially sanctioned track and field meets. I support whole heartedly pole vault only meets that could be the future of the event but lets not lose sight of the reality that Brad Walker jumping 6.04 in a Grand Prix Meet is a much more difficult jump than the perfect conditions found in a lot of street vaults, pole vault only meets. There are more and more marks coming out of vault only meets and an awful lot of pr's. Some realistic and some not so realistic. We must have distinction between the two types of marks. The bigger question is should USATF radify these marks to qualify somebody for national competitions?

joynerjon81
PV Newbie

Unread postby joynerjon81 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks
Last edited by joynerjon81 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:23 pm

I was not there for the women. The men had some shifty winds, that affected a lot of people--so for the record... less than desireable conditions (especially compaired to what is normal in San Diego). The meet was won at 560...and I am pretty confident it was Paul Gensic.

As far as pole vault only meets... Becca is right, there were other events contested. And being that is was at the USOC Center, you know it was legit. With trials right around the corner, there are not any big meets in the states, and if people are feeling good they do it, if not, they don't. Pole vault only meets are nothing new, they have been going on for a while.

big10jumper
PV Wannabe

Unread postby big10jumper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 am

I mostly disagree with 30years except for being right that pole vault meets should count seperatly than all out track and field meets. People are missing the point, he was referring to inflated marks from pole vault competitions or drastic p.r.'s. Not just this week...ever week.

Bad example using stuczinski at 4.45. Apparently what happened there is she was contracted as a promotion for a track club to go and jump a bar in which she jumped one height and then stopped jumping. Now had she jumped 5.10 in that meet then it would be questionable.

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:51 am

I suppose it's a coincidence that you and 30 year joined on the same day. March 17. Of course you would agree. Egg on your face.....I knew that pointed out the 4.45 would bring you out. Must be lonely up there in New York. Oh, I mean..... Colorado or is it New York? The point is there was not need to defend Jenn. We all have seen what she can do.

That's all.....

big10jumper wrote:I mostly disagree with 30years except for being right that pole vault meets should count seperatly than all out track and field meets. People are missing the point, he was referring to inflated marks from pole vault competitions or drastic p.r.'s. Not just this week...ever week.

Bad example using stuczinski at 4.45. Apparently what happened there is she was contracted as a promotion for a track club to go and jump a bar in which she jumped one height and then stopped jumping. Now had she jumped 5.10 in that meet then it would be questionable.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”