Eric Foran article (FL)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Eric Foran article (FL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:04 pm

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 128060.htm

HIGH SCHOOL TRACK AND FIELD
A RISING STAR
ST. THOMAS AQUINAS POLE VAULTER ERIC FORAN HAS USED HIS FEAR OF HEIGHTS TO BECOME THE SCHOOL RECORD-HOLDER AND A FAVORITE TO WIN STATE.
BY FABIAN LYON
flyon@MiamiHerald.com
Three years ago, St. Thomas Aquinas senior Eric Foran tried an unorthodox approach to conquer his fear of heights.

Foran -- the son of Bill Foran, the Miami Heat strength-and-conditioning coach, picked up pole vaulting.

Little did Foran know that the initial moment he sprinted down a runway and catapulted himself high over the cross-bar would set him on a course to become one of the top pole vaulters in the nation.

''I am afraid of heights, but I always liked to climb trees and do thrilling things,'' said Foran, who finished third at the 3A state meet last year (14-0). ``It looked like fun. It is even better when I know I cleared the bar coming down. I just like having fun with it. It is a fascinating sport.''

Foran is the state leader after clearing a school-record 15-4 on Feb. 28, which broke Jeff Amann's previous mark (14-6) by 10 inches.

STAYING FOCUSED

''Eric not only broke it, he shattered it,'' said Raiders coach Dave Shepherd. ``There have been a lot of great pole vaulters that tried to break that record but couldn't. He has been on fire this season. He is a great competitor. One of his biggest strengths is that he stays focused.''

Foran's hot start continued at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships in New York City on Sunday when he cleared 15-1.75 to finish sixth and earn All-American honors.

Foran, who gets a shot at a new personal-best when he competes in the Disney Track and Field Showcase at the Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando today, is no overnight success. Foran has shown a steady improvement under vault guru Bobby Haeck, Shepherd and his father, Bill Foran, which has boosted his college stock considerably in the past two years.

''Eric is a tremendous competitor,'' said Haeck, whose list of prized pupils include 28 state champions -- among them is former Douglas star Ben Dickens, the state record-holder (15-9.5). ``His athletic conditioning is incredible. He has worked very hard in the offseason to be where he is at. You tie that all together with the kind of speed and strength and fortitude that he puts forth in his training makes for a wonderful pole vaulter.''

Bill Foran, who has a master's degree in exercise physiology from Michigan State University, has focused on his son's weight-training while Haeck, who runs Pole Vault City (www.polevaultcity.com) has taken care of the technical aspects.

Shepherd, meanwhile, has provided expertise in the vault as a former decathlete and worked closely with Bill Foran and Haeck.

''Pole vaulting is fun but it takes determination and hard work,'' said Eric Foran, who said he has visited Florida, Clemson and South Florida. ``I couldn't have gotten this far without my coaches. They have been behind me. I just want to jump high and if winning a state title comes with it, that will be great.''

A BIG PERK

One of the perks Eric Foran enjoys as the son of the Heat strength-and-conditioning coach is working out occasionally alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade at the Heat training facility.

While the bulk of the conversation surrounds the Heat's push to the playoffs, Foran's accomplishments in the vault is generating increased interest in the Heat locker-room.

''They are following Eric and how he is doing,'' Bill Foran said. 'They want to know how he did at New York. That is kind of fun. When Eric is in the weight room and the Heat players are around, he will do things they can't do like a pull and then go right into a dip. They can't do it with their weight. Or he will do clapping pull-ups. Then they will say `hey, show us the clapping pull-ups.' It is kind of fun because Eric gets up there and does things they can't do.''

If Foran wins a state title, there is a good chance some Heat players will be doing the clapping instead.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:59 am

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... -headlines

Eric Foran

LocalLinks

School: St. Thomas Aquinas

Year: Senior

Event: Pole vault

About Eric: With his fear of heights behind him, Foran broke the school record and has the county's best and state's second-highest vault of 15 feet, 5 inches since taking up the sport three years ago. The son of Miami Heat strength and conditioning coach Bill Foran earned All-America honors at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships in New York, where he cleared 15-1¾ and finished sixth against a national-caliber field. He was third at last year's state meet at 14-0. Has had college visits with Florida, Clemson and South Florida.

Why pole vaulting? It looked like fun.

How do you mentally prepare for a meet? Sometimes I listen to music. I just get focused and know what I have to do.

Favorite meal: Something with chicken.

Favorites tunes: Pretty much everything. I listen to a lot of Disney music, all the animated stuff.

Favorite movie: Back To The Future.

Future plans: I want to pole vault in college and get a degree, in either business or exercise physiology. I'm not quite sure yet. If I am good enough I would love to go to the Olympic trials. So far, the highlight of my career is going to nationals and getting my first All-American honor.

jmpngblonde
PV Nerd

Unread postby jmpngblonde » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:47 pm

I graduated from St. Thomas last year...COngrats to Eric!...to think we had the same PR two years ago :)

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”