BTB author in Florida january 06

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:17 am

To she who must be obeyed - From this distance it is pretty difficult to 'contact any of the local coaches in the area' - when you dont know who they are!

I am just passing through the US in January with very little time to spare but thought I could perhaps be useful, Not to worry, perhaps next time. :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:25 am

Asking who the local coaches are might have produced more useful responses than asking a vague question about anyone being interested.

The Pole Vault Power Network is set up to help people find coaches in any given area of the country. The regional men's pole vault development staff is listed on each region page, and you can search the database for clubs and camps, which might also yield useful results.

http://www.polevaultpower.com/network

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:16 am

Ouch! :crying: That hurt! :o Well now I will know what to do if I am ever passing through again.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:41 am

sorry becca..

i'm in the process of contacting some of the coaches down this way...

i do encourage all young vaulters and coaches, all coaches and vaulters for that matter, to seek as many view points as possible..

i think i'm a better coach than i was 20 years ago from daily, listening, looking and analyzing...

then we have to use that information in a way that works for us....
using physics as a guide... naturally..

:heart:

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:25 am

I just did a camp with 50 kids down in the Orlando area, and I'm doing another one with 36 around New Years time, so I know there is interest down there. I guess you just have to know the right people and contacts. Then again, Bobby and I have been doing those for 4 years now so we are pretty much established. I agree though, I don't think you can just post and expect to find a lot response for interest. We work pretty hard at informing people of when we are dong a camp or clinic.

I don't really agree that the people on here are uninformed. I think some of these posters are actually informed enough to know when not to post and when not to be confrontational because it can be useless or a one directional conversation. Just my opinion, Lon

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:01 pm

lonpvh wrote:I just did a camp with 50 kids down in the Orlando area, and I'm doing another one with 36 around New Years time, so I know there is interest down there. I guess you just have to know the right people and contacts. Then again, Bobby and I have been doing those for 4 years now so we are pretty much established. I agree though, I don't think you can just post and expect to find a lot response for interest. We work pretty hard at informing people of when we are dong a camp or clinic.

I don't really agree that the people on here are uninformed. I think some of these posters are actually informed enough to know when not to post and when not to be confrontational because it can be useless or a one directional conversation. Just my opinion, Lon

Like Becca said, there is no overwhelming majority of people from every area of the country on this board. I think maybe 4 or 5 kids that I coach read this board out of the 90+ I coach, and even they don't keep up with it regularly.

I would use Becca's network on the main page to contact specific coaches in whatever area you're wanting to hold a camp/clinic, and then use them to advertise for you. I did a camp for Bubba Sparks out in the Woodlands this summer and didn't have to do a thing except show up and run my mouth - he had recruited all the campers and done all the paperwork and facility work for me. We had about 15-20 kids and could get a lot more.

Also, there are a LOT of informed coaches and vaulters on this board. Many of them don't post for the reasons Lon mentioned above. When those of us with 20 years or more experience in the sport are verbally attacked by cocky college or high school kids that think they know more than us, it's not worth our time to sit here and squabble with them.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Stop by DC I know 20+ kids and 4-5 coaches whod come to a clinic.
and how would a trip to the states be complete without a visit to the capital ;)
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:49 am

If I were in Florida you could bet money that I would be there. You can never have enough knowledge. I wouldn't be where I am today if it were not for all the knowledge I stole :eek: , ... umm.. borrowed O:-) from guys like Earl Bell, Rick Baggott, Jeff Hartwig, Kevin Brown, Aaron James, Jan Johnson, Dave Johnston (DJ) and even our new online vault buddy Alan Launder (Altius) via his great new book Beginner to Bubka. There are many others I could name as well. However, do not forget to use your own brain when you hear new ideas or thoughts. God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we should listen twice as much as we speak. :idea:

BTB is a must to read - even for experienced coaches - since it provokes thought, and it is an absolute must read for new vaulters and parents with a thirst. The real jewel is that, if we pick up one good idea from someone our vaulters jump higher. If a vaulter can make one positive change they will be better for it. By attending clinics/camps/summits, reading, and/or vaultosiphying with others that share your passion you get to better yourself as a vaulter or a coach. The synergistic effect of great minds can have an enormous impact on our sport.

I have been blessed because I have lived it and spent the majority of my time since 1998 emersed in vaulting and attaining more knowledge. It drives my wife crazy sometimes, but she knows I am doing what I love to do.

Often coaches don't respond or post here because there is a tendency for people to bash you. That's a shame, because these coaches have so much to offer us that they shouldn't have to defend themselves. The coaches who do put their detailed thoughts into print or video are pioneers. Pioneers tend to get the gold, ...or get their heads chopped off. I admire pioneers, including those who can no longer wear a hat. :P
Last edited by Carolina Extreme on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 pm

dj wrote:There’s a reason the men’s and women’s records are held by Russians and were on spirit poles!

i do not wish to start a brand debate, but do you care to elaborate on this point(and we all know that bubka isnt actually a russian, but that can slide)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:17 pm

Whats your mailing address CE? Your endorsement cheque is on the way! ;)

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:05 pm

altius wrote:Whats your mailing address CE? Your endorsement cheque is on the way! ;)
If it's two comma... next day would be really nice... but I can wait a few. :D

I enjoyed your book and have encouraged parents that want to help their kids to buy it. One of the parents after reading it said, "Now I better understand what you have been telling my kids." We're saying essentially the same thing, just different words.

I have a question for you. You may have talked about it in another post, if so I missed it. What is a Jagodin? Is it kin to a Wallaby? :confused: Really I'm wondering if it is something we are already doing but using a different name for it.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”