College Advice Down South

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas

Moderators: Barto, AVC Coach

Russ
PV Master

College Advice Down South

Unread postby Russ » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:29 am

My daughter isn't a pole vaulter, she's an Equestrian (same general idea...go fast, jump high, strive for perfect form, be fearless, fall a lot, get up, try again). She plans to compete in college.

She's a high school senior and she's been accepted at 3 colleges and I'm curious to know what y'all think about these 3: UNC-Greensboro; East Carolina University; University of South Carolina.

I assume that some of the folks on this board probably are now attending or have a friend attending one of these schools. If you have a legitimate basis for an opinion, how would you rate them academically, socially, etc.? My brother graduated from ECU but that was in 1975 so I'm sure that the school has changed significantly since then.

Thanks.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

jordan9590
PV Wannabe

Unread postby jordan9590 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:01 pm

There are alot of COCKS on here

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:29 pm

USC always has good vaulters. i know a girl at Eastern carolina, not really a big fan based on what she tells me. dont know bout the other
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

StickJumper
PV Nerd

UNC-G

Unread postby StickJumper » Tue May 25, 2004 1:36 am

We're in the same conference as UNC-Greensboro, and from what the other people in the school say, it's a very party hearty school. Their track team I swear has about 35 guys on it but I only ever saw two compete at the conference meet and their team scored something like 6 points total. From what I've heard, it's because while UNCG sponsors it's sports programs, there are few that are supported or that actively seek to become better at what they do. I will say that the country club sports do well (tennis, golf, equestrian), but they seem to be very similar to a glorified HS, taking walk-ons only and not offering much more than what one may have gotten at younger ages. But this is just my take on the school from what I've seen and heard.
I'm gonna email a friend of mine that rides for UGA. She was one of the top prospects out of HS this year and finished very high at nationals this year. I'll see if she can give any input as to the quality of the programs/school.
"Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get somewhere you've never been."
Ryan Fussell- Pole Peddlers Admin.
http://www.polepeddlers.com

Return to “South and Southeast Regions”