World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sarah Watson 12-0 (TX)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:50 am

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/ ... 46877.html

Tomball pole vaulter Watson feels up to challenge

By TODD HVEEM
Chronicle Correspondent

A year ago, Tomball High School pole vaulter Sarah Watson thought she had missed her shot at going to the Class 5A state track and field meet when she finished a disappointing third at the regional meet.

Then she got a second chance.

"I finished third at regionals," said Watson, now a senior. "Then, I found out a couple days before the meet that the person who finished second at regionals got hurt. I was thrilled at the chance to go, but I didn't have time to train, so I didn't do very well at the meet. I want to make up for that this year."

Watson gets her chance when she competes in her second straight Class 5A state meet on Saturday at the University of Texas in Austin. The Class 5A girls pole vault starts at 3 p.m.

"She has the capability of doing real well," said Tomball girls track coach Austin McQuary. "She went 12-0 at the regional qualifiers meet. I know there were a couple of 12-6 (vaulters) at regional meets, but I think the possibility of Sarah going 12-6 is definitely there."

So does Watson.

"I went twelve feet at Brenham and was very excited about it. I was so happy," said Watson. "But I still think I have more left in me. I am feeling pretty confident about state. I am ready for it."

Watson started pole vaulting when she was 10-years-old.

"I have an older brother who pole vaults (Kevin Watson)," Watson said. "He is on scholarship at the University of Houston. He went 16-0 under coach (Macon) Hughes at Tomball. He really has inspired me to do the best I can."

Sarah Watson hopes to follow in her brother's footsteps.

"I hope to get a track scholarship," she said. "I know a lot depends on how I do at state, but I think I am ready. It is probably going to take twelve feet to get on the medal stand. But I am ready for it."

Watson went only 10-6 at the regional meet.

"I didn't feel comfortable with it," she said of vaulting at regionals. "I thought I was a little off. But I have been training very hard (since)."

McQuary agreed.

"She has worked really hard this whole year," McQuary said of Watson. "She has really focused on the vault. She has improved a whole lot."

Watson, who also ran the 200 meters, said she has been working on her speed down the runway and staying focused.

"It all comes down to hard work," she said. "You can't play mind games. You have to get out there and do the work."

When she is not pole vaulting, Watson likes to work out and catch up on her school work. She also said she is fascinated by government.

"It is interesting to see how our country is structured," she said.

Watson said her mother (Sherrie) and father (Larry) are her biggest fans.

"I can definitely hear my mom up in the stands," Watson said. "But I am glad I can hear her. My brother also tries to make as many meets as he can. I try and make as many college meets as I can for him. We are a very close family."

Return to “Texas”